Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Keeping Focused While Brushing

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

The bathroom has loads of cool things. A faucet that could be a waterfall, tons of bottles to line up, to look at, to arrange as bowling pins for that body puff...yes, a plethora of things to distract our little ones from the task at hand: brushing teeth.

Just as we are discussing our kids zoning out (or being engaged) as they view the screens in the living room or bedroom with that screen-time habit, we need to take a few minutes and check in on how they do with focusing on their brushing habit.

Are they really looking at and concentrating on getting those teeth clean, or is it just second nature by now, where they can tune out the brushing and daydream and think about 23 other things while they do it? It is a question we can ask ourselves, too. Kids have to remember this task, this cleaning, requires 100% attention. All too often, minds wander and, as a result, those back teeth just aren't as tended to as they ought to be. 

How to do this? Purely by reminders every so often. We all need a nudge every once and a while. Tell them, as they head to the bathroom, to be focused on what they need to do with that toothbrush and not trying to figure out how many tiles are in that bathtub or pretending to be a superhero towering atop that plastic stool.

Do your kids (or do you) zone out when brushing? Do you stay with them in the bathroom while they brush? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/wojciech_gajda 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM
I still brush my lil guys teeth for him =) my DD though is 11 and really good about her hygiene
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM
Thankfully this is something we never have had an issue with. They both are good about brushing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

DS does his own without supervision. I still have to help DD because she doesn't stay focused. 

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Ds1 tends to rush but he doesn't zone out. I still do ds2 teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

We used to try a timer that would ding, but the timer was distracting- we found these train timers at a train museum we went to- they just tip them upside down and brush while they stare as it drips down.  Much better then the bell one!

allboys246
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM

They seem to not "zone out" when they brush. They do a really good job at just getting it done and washing up and cleaning up any mess and then on to the next thing :)

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Quoting allboys246:

They seem to not "zone out" when they brush. They do a really good job at just getting it done and washing up and cleaning up any mess and then on to the next thing :)

That's great they even clean up!

soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I totally zone out when I brush my teeth. My daughter does sometimes, but a lot of times she is paying attention too. I usually stay in the bathroom if I walk out its to blow my nose or something simple :)

millermom07
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

My kids don't seem to zone out, but I did have to get a timer for them, because before that, they'd just rush to get done and out of the bathroom. lol  I still brush my 2 yr olds teeth though.

amy7243
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I do not stay with them but I try to listen to make sure they are brushing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN