Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

The bathroom has loads of cool things. A faucet that could be a waterfall, tons of bottles to line up, to look at, to arrange as bowling pins for that body puff...yes, a plethora of things to distract our little ones from the task at hand: brushing teeth.

Just as we are discussing our kids zoning out (or being engaged) as they view the screens in the living room or bedroom with that screen-time habit, we need to take a few minutes and check in on how they do with focusing on their brushing habit.

Are they really looking at and concentrating on getting those teeth clean, or is it just second nature by now, where they can tune out the brushing and daydream and think about 23 other things while they do it? It is a question we can ask ourselves, too. Kids have to remember this task, this cleaning, requires 100% attention. All too often, minds wander and, as a result, those back teeth just aren't as tended to as they ought to be. 

How to do this? Purely by reminders every so often. We all need a nudge every once and a while. Tell them, as they head to the bathroom, to be focused on what they need to do with that toothbrush and not trying to figure out how many tiles are in that bathtub or pretending to be a superhero towering atop that plastic stool.

Do your kids (or do you) zone out when brushing? Do you stay with them in the bathroom while they brush? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/wojciech_gajda 

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My 9 year old daughter brushes by herself but I ask her to sometimes go back and do it again LOL My 4 year old son still has us doing it for him...he' too lazy.

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I stay with my dd to make sure that she does a good job.
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I have a few songs to entertain them with

copperswifey
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

They don't zone out. My kids beg to brush their teeth. We have electric toothbrushes that play music so I think that helps. I do stay in the bathroom while they brush. I brush them and make sure I get them good and clean and then I let them brush them on their own for a little bit. You know how kids are and need to do everything on their own lol :)

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rushn311:

My 9 year old daughter brushes by herself but I ask her to sometimes go back and do it again LOL My 4 year old son still has us doing it for him...he' too lazy.

We have had to ask to go back and do it again too- usually my 9 year old is in and out faster then you can count to five- so we have to tell him, go back, do it right, and get out the timer this time. lol!

bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Both my kids are too young to do their own all the time, but DS is almost 4 and does his own in the morning. He's pretty focused but I'm not sure if he's actually getting his teeth or just swishing the brush around in his mouth :) I need to really pay attention while he's doing it one of these days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
That's how we do it too--he has to put up with me brushing for him and then his reward is getting to do it on his own LOL

Quoting copperswifey:

They don't zone out. My kids beg to brush their teeth. We have electric toothbrushes that play music so I think that helps. I do stay in the bathroom while they brush. I brush them and make sure I get them good and clean and then I let them brush them on their own for a little bit. You know how kids are and need to do everything on their own lol :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I don't have any problems with my kids when it comes to brushing their teeth. I'm glad that my kids have enjoyed brushing their teeth from an early age. 

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I do that with my daughter...lol. Sometimes in the morning I'll let her brush them on her own because she hasn't eaten anything, but mostly it's me first then she can brush them. 

Quoting bethany169:

That's how we do it too--he has to put up with me brushing for him and then his reward is getting to do it on his own LOL

Quoting copperswifey:

sunshine86912
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

mine are pretty good at brushing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN