Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

What the Pros Say About Screen Time

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

So, what do the pros say about screen time? The American Academy of Pediatrics says for kids that are in school, the max is two hours of "entertainment media time." That is all forms of entertainment -- TV shows, video games, cool apps on the iPad and so on. For kids under two years old, they say no amount of screen time is okay. Nada, none, zip, zero minutes.

I've already confessed my kid watched TV under two years of age, and she regularly goes over that two-hour limit now. Not by much mind you, but she goes over. She is thriving at school, ahead of the game and, again, as I have mentioned, she doesn't watch "Sponge Bob" or just any old show. And we watch with her and talk about the shows and play educational games with her.

But, have we, at times, had to limit TV? Sure. When she gets out of routine, during breaks in school, the TV is on more than usual. But that goes for all of us, and, every once and a while, that is fine. Though we have to be sure we are It is being on top of it, monitoring it, and make sure a good habit of screen time doesn't morph into a bad habit.

Do your kids go over the AAP guidelines? By how much? When do you find your kids watch more TV than usual -- summertime? The weekends? Spring Break?

ŠiStockphoto.com/jojof 

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM
My kids are 9 and 10. I'm sure With school they come close to the 2 hours a day. They have computer lab and they use net books in class. At home they do not use much screen time. I keep them busy with other activities
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

My kids go way over, but they also get LOTS of outside time. We definitely watch more tv in the winter time around here because of the weather.

DS is at THE very top of his class and has watched TV and played video games since he was very young. Doesn't seem to have had a negative effect.

soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

No my daughter does not go over. Her max is 2hrs a day.

millermom07
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Some days my kids go over, some days they don't even watch any tv or play on the computer, etc.  My baby, is almost 2, and he does watch tv occasionally, and my older kids also watched it when they were under 2.  And 2 of my older kids are gifted and in classes at least 2 grade levels above the grade they are in, so I don't think it had any negative effects on them.  The only reason the 3rd of my older kids isn't excelling like those 2 is that he was born to an alcoholic mother and he has side affects from that, but he is on level and doing great.  ALL of my kids enjoy outside time though.

amy7243
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM

My kids watch to much....especially in the winter when its bad weather.

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I dont ever go by this. I do limit their amount of "entertainment" time though. and my 14 month old watches a little bit of tv here and there. I see no harm in this.While I do believe in moderating this stuff I also believe that There is way to much hand in how we raise our children now a days. When our parents and grandparents were growing up there was not this much say in how children were raised.

MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Yes my kids do go over it but how much really depends what is going on such as if the weather is bad, or sick, or just feeling lazy they will watch more than normal. 

LOswald0314
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Nah, I don't really worry about it.  They watch a little in the mornings and then play the rest of the day while it's on.

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Quoting sarah824:

My kids go way over, but they also get LOTS of outside time. We definitely watch more tv in the winter time around here because of the weather.

DS is at THE very top of his class and has watched TV and played video games since he was very young. Doesn't seem to have had a negative effect.

Same here. We keep them in sports and activities so we feel like when they are home, they have the right to relax just like we do. 

goddess99
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

We have alot of issues when it comes to tv time. My dd has a reaction to the lights so her time is limited. She is older so she does watch what she wants, but we limit to an hour a day during the school months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN