Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

So, what do your kids watch? What games does she play on that iPad? Do they have favorite games on that game player? All is well and good until they say, "Hey, Mom, I want a new game/show/insert whatever it is!"

We went on a big jag in my house with my kiddo requesting some new shows...maybe she's outgrown her old ones, wants some different characters, plotlines (how many times can she call for Map to help find which way to go?). But what does a mom suggest? I mean, it isn't like we had any of these shows when we were growing up...and we sure didn't have apps or the Wii.

Enter great sites like Common Sense Media give the lowdown on the latest and newest shows and games and apps. I look on there to see reviews...and then poll some friends who are in the know (i.e. have some older kids so they have already tackled this phase).

We all can find spelling and puzzle apps, video games to get kids moving, and shows that teach social skills...but what about a few others that may not be on your radar? Here you go:

Video Game: uDraw GameTablet for Wii, Playstation and Xbox.  Really, this is cool for everyone in the family. It isn't cheapest at $46.99, but this allows everyone to create masterpieces that you can view on the screen, as well as tutorials for budding artist. The tablet can be used for other games like Pictionary as well as a princess-themed uDraw, a superhero-themed uDraw and more. The possibilities are endless with this one and it is much more than a regular game.

App: MiniPiano. Awesome way to introduce music to your kids - perfect app for kids of every age. You can learn or practice piano or just plonk around and make fun new songs about Uncle Ari and his crazy hat. And it is free.

Show: Well, it was tough to narrow it down, as you may think, since we are a mega TV family, so I will just tout two: Wild Kratts on PBS and Octonauts on Disney Junior. Both have inventive ways to explore animals, habitats, and science. Both are fun for your kids (and yes, I admit, I like to watch them too).    

What are your kids' favorite shows? What about apps and games they love?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ skynesher

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-31):
soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I looked up octonauts recently and I think it is pretty neat! My daughter likes it too! Thanks for sharing about it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)