Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tooth-Healthy Snacks for Playdates

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

Kiddo has a BFF, who I will call L. For a variety of reasons (they have more kiddos and nap schedules in their home), we head to L's house a lot...which suits Kiddo just fine because they also have a large pantry stocked full of snacks. As I have mentioned here more than once, Kiddo is a professional snacker. The nice thing: L's mom knows about Kiddo's nut allergy and always makes sure there is something (if not five things) that she can have in that pantry.

Which brings up the subject of snacks and playdates. One key to any playdate: checking with the other parents about dietary restrictions and preferences ahead of time. I always have nut-free snacks with me just in case, but being aware of what the child likes is always a smart move. And usually, if one kid wants goldfish crackers or Jello or a juice box, the other ones will want them too.

What are some good options to have on hand for playdates that are also healthy? Check these out:

-- Cheese sticks. Easy, just the right size for kids to munch on, and, yup, full of calcium.

-- Bananas, apple slices, or blueberries. Again, a healthy but easy option for them to eat and then get back to playing without to much mess or clean up.

-- Bite-size snacks. We love Amy's Organic pizza snacks. They are bite-size and all organic, with yummy calcium-rich cheese Bonus for me: you can nuke them in the microwave for a mere 90 seconds and they are ready to go.

-- Fruit bars and granola bars. Again, so easy, as each kiddo gets their own -- the "he got more than me" arguments are totally avoided. Just be sure to choose ones lower in sugar content.

What do your kids snack on when they have a playdate?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ SteveStone

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM
My kids don't have play dates really. They are older and between school sports homework that takes up a lot of time.
When they have snacks it's fruits and vegetables because those are easy and do not ruin their appetite for dinner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

fruits, cheese and crackers, yogurt, and granola bars are always in our house!

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM

My kids never did playdates. But I do have a snack bag that I bring with me for sporting events. With my husband refereeing soccer and umpiring softball, we are often gone all day. In my back pack I usually bring:

Trail mix
Goldfish
Raisins
Granola bars
Cereal bars
Apple cinnamon rice cakes
Peanut butter stuffed pretzels
Mozzarella sticks (when I can bring a cold pack)

For drinks I either pack water bottles or Capri Sun V.  

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My girls never did playdates.  My 3 year old son does occasionally and we have pretty much the same snacks as the pp's do.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM
My kids don't do playdates
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

My kids don't do playdates
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:37 PM

fruits and veggies like apples, bananas, and carrot  sticks.  string cheese, gold fish, chocolate chip cookies, yogurt/gogurt, popcicles, juice boxes

Kainalu55
by Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM

those peanut butter pretels sound good and make a healthy snack!

Quoting countrymomma81:

My kids never did playdates. But I do have a snack bag that I bring with me for sporting events. With my husband refereeing soccer and umpiring softball, we are often gone all day. In my back pack I usually bring:

Trail mix
Goldfish
Raisins
Granola bars
Cereal bars

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM

They are a bit salty for me, but my DH and kids love them. I buy a huge bag at Sam's then I divide them into snack sized Ziploc bags. They are perfect for on the run. 

Quoting Kainalu55:

those peanut butter pretels sound good and make a healthy snack!

Quoting countrymomma81:

Trail mix
Goldfish
Raisins
Granola bars
Cereal bars

momkaribg
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM
We don't do playdates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)