Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

You have groovy, yummy, healthy snacks. You've prepped everyone about good-bye time. But what else can you do to make playdates go well and be a fun time your kids will want to repeat? I've got five tips to make that good playdate great.

-- Keep it small. Invite maybe one or two friends over. With more than that, the groups can splinter off and not be as inclusive or fun. The smaller, the better.

-- Change it up. If you always go to someone's home, try having it at your house. Or meet up at the local playground for a picnic and outdoor playdate. Also, change up who you have playdates with -- it's great to have besties, but also try having your daughter play with a different girlfriend. This is a great habit to get into, seeing how you can be friends with lots of different types of kids.

-- Have ideas ready. Sometimes even the best of little friends need ideas on what to do. Kicking off the playdate with an organized activity like making a bead necklace or helping you bake cookies and decorating paper plates to eat them off of can be a good transition into the playdate.

-- Hide the blankie. This means to put any special lovies or toys your child may not want to share in a special place, maybe your bedroom or your closet. Another good idea, if you are the guest, bring along two toys for your child to share. This can go a long way in helping the whole toy-sharing situation. (For more on sharing, check out some of the posts we did a few weeks ago!)

-- Check in every once and a while. If the kids are playing in a basement or another room, be sure to pop your head in every so often and see how it is going. Just in case they need something, if someone needs to use the potty or whatever.

Share your best playdate advice and stories!

©iStockphoto.com/Georgijevic

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

good tips!

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hiding the lovies is a perfect idea that I would never have thought of. :)

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Rushn311:

No one I know does this at playdates. LOL We just let the kids play whatever

Yeah ours are not really structured either, but during the holidays we usually do a little project with them :)

CafeMom Tickers
MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Thanks for the tips! 

Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting Rushn311:

Yeah ours are not really structured either, but during the holidays we usually do a little project with them :)

That's cute. We don't do that either. LOL Playdates that I have for my kids, are my friends who have kids...I am not cool enough to have other playdates lined up I guess. haha

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

These are great tips!

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

these are important tips to remember!

Quoting batjmom:

We really never did them. But I would make sure it was afte a nap so not tired and after eating, and keeping it short

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

wow!

Quoting Samanthamommy:

Wow!!

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

I am not a playdate mom. We have soooo many kids in my apartment complex for them to play with. Heck in our parking lot alone which serves 2 buildings (10 apartments) there are 15 kids and 4 of those apartments are older people with no kids at home. And are you ready for this 13 of those kids are boys. Needless to say its madness here. 13 of those kids are age 1-9. The ages go ....1, 2, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 7, 7, 8, 9, 9, 13, 14. The 13 yr old and one of the 5 yr olds are the only girls.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Quoting Madelaine:

good tips!

Wish2Be
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Quoting Rushn311:

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting Rushn311:

That's cute. We don't do that either. LOL Playdates that I have for my kids, are my friends who have kids...I am not cool enough to have other playdates lined up I guess. haha

No way ....I only playdate primarily  with 1 kiddo and thats because his mom and I went to HS together :).

I with throw a different one in the mix maybe 3 times a year.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN