Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Friday Fit Club

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

We all get into the same routine. You make the playdate with the same core group of kids and families...which is great to have that circle of support and solid relationships. But, every once and a while, it is nice to change it up, get in a fresh new situation and build other relationships. For this Friday Fit Club, here are a few ideas on outside-the-box playdates to arrange for your kiddo.

-- Playdate with Grandma or Grandpa. Not just when Grandma and Grandpa are scheduled for babysitting, but plan a time when they come (and you are around) just to be together and play with the kids. This is prime time to allow your kids to really witness and bond with that older generation of your family. Maybe plan an activity like making a book about some event in Grandpa's childhood.

-- Playdate with a friend of the opposite sex. This is a great idea. Our kids are going to have to get along with boys and girls. Having your daughter (who is really into princesses) play with a boy from her class (who loves cars) is a great way to get her used to different social skills and expose her to new ideas on playing. Check with her on which boy she might like to have a playdate with and then discuss it with his mom to be sure everyone is on board.

-- Playdate with the new kid. If there is a new kid in your child's school, suggest you have a playdate with them. Not only does is this a nice idea to welcome the new child (and her family) to the community, but it teaches your child empathy - if she was new to a school, wouldn't she like it if someone reached out and wanted to play?

-- Playdate with Daddy or Mommy. Just like with Grandma and Grandpa, sometimes, it is nice to have an arranged time to just play with Mom or Dad. An essential thing to do if there has been a new addition to the family, setting up a standing playdate with a parent gives that older sibling the much-needed one-on-one time.

What was the best -- and worst -- playdate your child has had?

©iStockphoto.com/TatyanaGl

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM
We really didnt do "play dates". But the days they really enjoyed was the days spend at Nanas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM

We have had all good experiences actually!

jessicasmom1
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM

get out and ride a bike or take a nice walk

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:32 AM

We've never had playdates. My grandma lives in the same yard with us and the kids are always at her house playing. She plays games and all sorts of things with them. And being in sports and on teams, they often play with kids of the opposite sex. 

DH and I have some really good friends who have a daughter that's the same age as our son and a son the same age as our daughter. We often spend time with them on weekends and are planning a vacation with them this summer. 

elasmimi
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Our local Chick Fil A has spirit night on Thursdays, rotating the schools which benefit. Last night was our schoo. My 5 y/o loves it, she always does her homework w/o whining, eats her dinner quickly and then heads for the indoor playground. Last night we were a little late, and the only other kid from her class was a boy. They held hands, and introduced each other to the parents. So we have no trouble interacting with the opposite sex.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Her best playdate  so far was a sleepover with her teacher's daughter and the other girls in her class. Awesome, I can't imagine have eight 5 year olds here overnight.

Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I think the worst would have to be when I wanted to have a playdate or day with just my daughter or son and the day went horrible by them acting up or not appreciative of what I did for them.

ceciliam
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We haven't really had a bad play date. Mostly, a bunch of us moms and their kids meet up at the local park.

dusky_rose
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

We don't really do "playdates" either. Grandpa lives with us so my youngest son can go play with him anytime he wants, and mom and dad (us) try to make time to play with our son too. He isn't in school yet, so he hasn't made any friends to come play yet.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Play dates with one of my friends kids were always a total flop. Her kids were bullies and very stingy, I even hated making dates with her, I didnt punish the kids, its more of her fault than anything because she thought it was funny, more than bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)