Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

We all get into the same routine. You make the playdate with the same core group of kids and families...which is great to have that circle of support and solid relationships. But, every once and a while, it is nice to change it up, get in a fresh new situation and build other relationships. For this Friday Fit Club, here are a few ideas on outside-the-box playdates to arrange for your kiddo.

-- Playdate with Grandma or Grandpa. Not just when Grandma and Grandpa are scheduled for babysitting, but plan a time when they come (and you are around) just to be together and play with the kids. This is prime time to allow your kids to really witness and bond with that older generation of your family. Maybe plan an activity like making a book about some event in Grandpa's childhood.

-- Playdate with a friend of the opposite sex. This is a great idea. Our kids are going to have to get along with boys and girls. Having your daughter (who is really into princesses) play with a boy from her class (who loves cars) is a great way to get her used to different social skills and expose her to new ideas on playing. Check with her on which boy she might like to have a playdate with and then discuss it with his mom to be sure everyone is on board.

-- Playdate with the new kid. If there is a new kid in your child's school, suggest you have a playdate with them. Not only does is this a nice idea to welcome the new child (and her family) to the community, but it teaches your child empathy - if she was new to a school, wouldn't she like it if someone reached out and wanted to play?

-- Playdate with Daddy or Mommy. Just like with Grandma and Grandpa, sometimes, it is nice to have an arranged time to just play with Mom or Dad. An essential thing to do if there has been a new addition to the family, setting up a standing playdate with a parent gives that older sibling the much-needed one-on-one time.

What was the best -- and worst -- playdate your child has had?

©iStockphoto.com/TatyanaGl

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
millerbunch
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM

we do not rerally plan playdates.. my 3 1/2 yo son however likes to play outside with the neighbor girl.. she is 6 months younger than him..   they have their moments.. but seem to be into the same things.

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

wow sounds hectic but yet fun!

Quoting elasmimi:

Her best playdate  so far was a sleepover with her teacher's daughter and the other girls in her class. Awesome, I can't imagine have eight 5 year olds here overnight.

sarah824
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I can't recall a bad playdate. We usually do open playgroups with MOMS Club so there are many kids, all ages and both genders. All the kids play together and have fun! 

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Our best is with grandma and the worst was with my now 12 year old and her friend at the time.  She threw a huge tantrum when we were leaving.

alliesmom112
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

We have a standing playdate every week with dd's best friend. DD and her little friend always have a great time

KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM
We've had really good playdates. If it ever happens that we don't I'll just leave
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

My children don't really do many playdates. We have never had any bad experiences though when they have.

starreyedcutie
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
We don't really do playdates...the worst was when we went to one and half the kids were sick. Thank god I stopped taking my kids because the whole playgroup got rsv
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM

We haven't experienced a bad play date yet. He did have some issues with seperation anxiety for a bit when we would leave him with grandma but it passed quickly =)

Samanthamommy
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Worst was when they were younger and got hit and bit by a friends son. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)