Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

You Can Do It! (4)

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 9 Replies

Learning to Kick a Soccer Ball

The challenge: Your daughter seems to have two left feet when she tries to kick a soccer ball.

How you can help: Get kicking with her! A 4-year-old should be able to run and kick a ball, says Sklamberg. To teach the skill, hold your child's hand and together "walk, walk, walk, kick." Make the kicking motion next to her as she kicks the ball. (Your child's kicking foot is the dominant one that she leads with as she goes up and down stairs.) A 5-year-old may even be able to run and kick a ball into a net.

To teach a soccer dribble, first take some air out of the ball, since the less inflated the ball, the more slowly it will roll, says Sklamberg. Show her how to gently push the ball with the sides of her feet. Then stand behind her as she alternates feet and "step, taps, step, taps" the ball down the sidewalk. With practice, she'll be able to jog while dribbling the ball with her feet.

Did/does your child have trouble kicking a ball? Are there other sports they seem to struggle with?
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Nope they both took right to the sports they were interested in pretty good. Somethings just took more practice. Baseball each year changed between coach pitching and a machine pitch to this year a kid pitching so adjustments need to be made all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM

DD is only 1 but she seems to have great fine motor skills so far.  We'll see when she's walking and playing in the backyard.

DS is almost 4 and just started tball but he's been playing soccer, tball, basketball, etc in the bakcyard for a while now.  He does fine and has fun playing at home, and on his tball team, it's 3 and 4 year olds so he's a little on the younger side and can't throw quite as far as the older kids.  But he hits pretty well and we're working on his throwing :)

soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM

My daughter has been able to kick a ball since about 19months. She learned right after she started to walk. We are a big soccer family

millermom07
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

All 3 of my older kids can kick a ball just fine.  My 2 yr old does ok, but it's still not great.  The older 3 aren't great with baseball/softball, but they try.

sarah824
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

DS is a natural athlete. He does very well with any sport he tries. He has been this way since he was very young.

DD has almost no coordination and kicking a ball took a little more work for her. 

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Neither of my kids have had trouble with sports so far. DD is 11 and has played on a team since she was 4. DS will start in the fall

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Neither of them had trouble. DD began playing soccer at 2, and DS played sports starting at 3. That's one area we have no trouble in. 

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM
No problem with that. Both if my kids love sports
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

My son mastered kicking a ball in physical therapy.  He doesn't play sports though.  He has no interest in organized activities like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)