Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essential Elements of Eczema

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

So, taking a sidestep with this sun skin care stuff. Let's tackle another skin woe that affects many, many kids: eczema. I had it a bit after giving birth, and my kiddo had it when she was a baby. I was not surprised, as we are a family with loads of allergies and that is one of the main commonalities with this skin issue -- most kids (and adults) with eczema also have allergies or asthma.

I've talked with many moms who also have a child with this tricky (not contagious) skin condition. Having gone through it, I know you can get a gazillion different thoughts, bits of advice, and treatment options. Always, talk with your pediatrician about this kind of thing, but here's some good basics to know:

-- Avoid dry skin. So hard to do in the wintertime with heat and in the summer time when that sunscreen (though great for protecting your little ones) dries out the skin. Moisturize every night with an all-natural lotion.

-- Avoid hot, soapy baths. Lukewarm is great, but not too hot. And the soap, well see the next hint.

-- Avoid soap. It irritates the areas that are prone to flare-ups. Instead, choose a moisturizing soap. We love Cetaphil and have used it since my kiddo was a little babe.

-- Keep fingernails short. Especially if your wee one is prone to itching, keeping nails short means less damage, as well as less risk to breaking the skin and transferring germs, which can cause an infection.

-- Use a sensitive skin detergent. You would be surprised how much this helps. We use Tide Free, but there are many others on the market. When they are wearing clothes with perfumes or harsh chemicals for many hours a day, it can cause an allergic reaction, which can cause flare-ups.

What should you do when your child has a flare-up? If it is mild, you can treat it with a basic over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. If it is worse than that, has some oozing, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose. Again, check with your doctor on any treatment regimen.

Have you had to deal with eczema? Share your tips on keeping kids itch-free!

ŠiStockphoto.com/steverwilson

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:06 AM
I have no experience with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM

We haven't had to deal with it but I used to babysit a little girl and she had it pretty bad but I don't remember what her mom put on it because that was like 20 years ago.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Noone is my household has eczema.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My kids don't have eczema. I do use gentle detergents, and I always wash their new clothes before they wear them.

millerbunch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM

my son had bouts of it during the winter months, behind his knees.. aveeno lotion worked well with him.

goddess99
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

humidifier, vaseline, maybe a medicated cream if it gets bad.

mommy2b39465
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM

one of mine has it pretty bad. warmer baths and baby shampoo doesn't affect it either way. 

Every night we put CeraVe PM Facial Lotion all over him. Then, on the bad spots we put Hydrocortizone Creme, then cover the bad spots with Aquaphor. That combination works wonders for him, but woe to us if we run out of any of the three things we put on him!

ceciliam
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I've never had to deal with eczema but I used to have clients that had it. Nioxin used to help them.

Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Have not had to deal with it so far....

lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM
My dd has it. Eucerin works well for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)