Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

So, taking a sidestep with this sun skin care stuff. Let's tackle another skin woe that affects many, many kids: eczema. I had it a bit after giving birth, and my kiddo had it when she was a baby. I was not surprised, as we are a family with loads of allergies and that is one of the main commonalities with this skin issue -- most kids (and adults) with eczema also have allergies or asthma.

I've talked with many moms who also have a child with this tricky (not contagious) skin condition. Having gone through it, I know you can get a gazillion different thoughts, bits of advice, and treatment options. Always, talk with your pediatrician about this kind of thing, but here's some good basics to know:

-- Avoid dry skin. So hard to do in the wintertime with heat and in the summer time when that sunscreen (though great for protecting your little ones) dries out the skin. Moisturize every night with an all-natural lotion.

-- Avoid hot, soapy baths. Lukewarm is great, but not too hot. And the soap, well see the next hint.

-- Avoid soap. It irritates the areas that are prone to flare-ups. Instead, choose a moisturizing soap. We love Cetaphil and have used it since my kiddo was a little babe.

-- Keep fingernails short. Especially if your wee one is prone to itching, keeping nails short means less damage, as well as less risk to breaking the skin and transferring germs, which can cause an infection.

-- Use a sensitive skin detergent. You would be surprised how much this helps. We use Tide Free, but there are many others on the market. When they are wearing clothes with perfumes or harsh chemicals for many hours a day, it can cause an allergic reaction, which can cause flare-ups.

What should you do when your child has a flare-up? If it is mild, you can treat it with a basic over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. If it is worse than that, has some oozing, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose. Again, check with your doctor on any treatment regimen.

Have you had to deal with eczema? Share your tips on keeping kids itch-free!

ŠiStockphoto.com/steverwilson

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
sarah824
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

We thought DS had eczema when he was a baby but it turns out it was a mild case of keratosis pilaris instead. We have a medicated cream that he has to use. DD is now showing signs of it too.

amy7243
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

We have not had to deal with it.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I have not,thankfully but babysat for a child who had mild Eczema.She used Aveeno.

starreyedcutie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM
My dD has it and I've been wanting to try coconut oil I've heard great things about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Great info! None of us have had eczema before
connorsmommy120
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We do everything listed in the post. We use aquaphor, and it's great. I was just told about Coconut Oil so, I'm going to go out and buy some.

dusky_rose
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I think I have Eczema, but I haven't noticed it in my children yet. I hope that they don't get it. Thanks for the tips!

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

slw123
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thankfully none of us have eczema, but I do have seborrheic dermatitis.  I use tea tree oil for it and it clears it right up.

momkaribg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Thanks my oldest Son has excema.

momkaribg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I use this for my roscae also.

Quoting slw123:

Thankfully none of us have eczema, but I do have seborrheic dermatitis.  I use tea tree oil for it and it clears it right up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)