Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

So, taking a sidestep with this sun skin care stuff. Let's tackle another skin woe that affects many, many kids: eczema. I had it a bit after giving birth, and my kiddo had it when she was a baby. I was not surprised, as we are a family with loads of allergies and that is one of the main commonalities with this skin issue -- most kids (and adults) with eczema also have allergies or asthma.

I've talked with many moms who also have a child with this tricky (not contagious) skin condition. Having gone through it, I know you can get a gazillion different thoughts, bits of advice, and treatment options. Always, talk with your pediatrician about this kind of thing, but here's some good basics to know:

-- Avoid dry skin. So hard to do in the wintertime with heat and in the summer time when that sunscreen (though great for protecting your little ones) dries out the skin. Moisturize every night with an all-natural lotion.

-- Avoid hot, soapy baths. Lukewarm is great, but not too hot. And the soap, well see the next hint.

-- Avoid soap. It irritates the areas that are prone to flare-ups. Instead, choose a moisturizing soap. We love Cetaphil and have used it since my kiddo was a little babe.

-- Keep fingernails short. Especially if your wee one is prone to itching, keeping nails short means less damage, as well as less risk to breaking the skin and transferring germs, which can cause an infection.

-- Use a sensitive skin detergent. You would be surprised how much this helps. We use Tide Free, but there are many others on the market. When they are wearing clothes with perfumes or harsh chemicals for many hours a day, it can cause an allergic reaction, which can cause flare-ups.

What should you do when your child has a flare-up? If it is mild, you can treat it with a basic over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. If it is worse than that, has some oozing, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose. Again, check with your doctor on any treatment regimen.

Have you had to deal with eczema? Share your tips on keeping kids itch-free!

ŠiStockphoto.com/steverwilson

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
momkaribg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I never heard of using cocunut oil before now.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

We do everything listed in the post. We use aquaphor, and it's great. I was just told about Coconut Oil so, I'm going to go out and buy some.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I only use Cheer free, and unscented Downy, since dh and dd have very sensitive skin.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I've heard of aquaphor.

I have to use gentle detergents because anything else bothers my skin.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

We keep cortisone cream on hand, because dd's excema can get out of control quickly. If I use it at first, don't have to use much.

MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Im going to share this with my sister, her & her son both have it bad! Thanks! 

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I have some cream from the doctor. My daughter usually gets it in the crook of her arm and behind her knees. 

I'll have to check into Cetaphil for soap. Thanks!

Leelee1008
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM

No, we have not. but these are good tips.

bellanoelsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM
We use California baby and Neutrogena eczema lotion. Neither work great. We have tried every OTC lotion there is. Dr gave us a prescription but it has some ingredients I don't like and its only safe to use once a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellanoelsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I tried coconut oil but didn't notice a difference. I may have to use it for longer to know for sure.

Quoting momkaribg:

I never heard of using cocunut oil before now.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

We do everything listed in the post. We use aquaphor, and it's great. I was just told about Coconut Oil so, I'm going to go out and buy some.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookseySP
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM

My teenage daughter has had it since birth and my toddler is dealing with eczema as well.  I have found a lotion called Renew Intensive Skin Therapy.  It has been clinically shown to work faster, better and last longer than Eucerin.  I put it to the test and it's true.  Renew lotion has provided relief for both my kids.  It's great for dry skin conditions as well.  Anything else makes us itch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)