Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Friday Fit Club

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

Who here has had a sunburn? Yes, I have too. Not good people, not good at all. The facts are startling: the redness and pain from a burn may go away after a few days, and summer tans from sun exposure will fade as the weather turns cooler, but the damage to your skin can last years, if not your whole life. And if your kids get burned as young ones, well, that damage can make them more prone to skin cancer later.

For this Friday Fit Club, it is all about the burn. How to truly prevent a sunburn? Put on sunscreen every day, keep covered with clothing, don a hat and sunglasses, and stay in the shade. But, try telling that to your kids or try finding shade on the beach. So what do you do if that pinkness starts, if that tender-to-the-touch shoulder appears after a day in the water park?

-- Cover the area with a cool, moist washcloth.

-- Give him an anti-inflammatory. Think ibuprofen. Not only does it help with the soreness and pain, it decreases any swelling.

-- Give him water. Keeping your kiddo hydrated can help to be sure the rest of him is healthy from the day in the sun.

-- Soothe and watch the area. Use a lotion with aloe to help calm the area, but also keep an eye on it. If it starts to blister, you should probably head to the doctor to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Also, for more reading on suncare, check out a great new book by Dr. Debra Jaliman called Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist, which gives professional advice on sunscreens, sunscreen ingredients, and which sunscreens to buy!

Have your kids ever had a sunburn? Share your any home remedies and treatments!

©iStockphoto.com/jcarillet 

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM
Thankfully my kids have each only had one sunburn each. They were both pretty mild and didnt interfere with how they slept.
I used aloe and a cool clothe to help it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My son has never had a sunburn.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM

My kids are grown now, but when they lived with me they did not have sunburns because I was careful about when they were in the sun and about using sunscreen.

dusky_rose
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I am sad to say that my youngest DD got a sunburn when she was little that was bad. It blistered even though I gave her a cool bath, then got towels wet with cold water and put them on her to help take the heat out, because as long as its hot, its still burning. I took her to the doctor and he said to put hydrocotizone (sp?) cream on it. What I learned, not a good idea to take a baby to high elevations and sit by a lake (my now ex was fishing) and try to keep baby in the shade of your body. I think when the air is thinner, you can get burned easier, I got a really bad burn on my legs too. I realize the importance of sun screen and of shade now. That was so many years ago, but if someone can learn from this I'm willing to share.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Charizma77
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Surprisingly, they never have. They are very pale skinned but we apply sunblock and limit time in the hot sun. I've had my share of sun burns though.
lalasmama2007
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Not that I recall. She has very fair skin, so we keep her lathered up real good with sunscreen.
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I think my daughter had one once- other wise they get 'sun kissed' but not enough to really burn or hurt them.  

After I notice the sunburn I put sunscreen on it- it seems to soothe it.  

sarah824
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My kids have not had a bad burn, yet. Hopefully I can make sure that never happens. I used to get burned all the time. Bad. I used Solarcaine to relieve the burn and I would take a cool bath. 

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

We've all had them. My daughter mostly gets them on her face, but we have a pool and I'm bad about remembering sunscreen. 

MamaMandee
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Yes they have, I love aloe! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)