Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Who here has had a sunburn? Yes, I have too. Not good people, not good at all. The facts are startling: the redness and pain from a burn may go away after a few days, and summer tans from sun exposure will fade as the weather turns cooler, but the damage to your skin can last years, if not your whole life. And if your kids get burned as young ones, well, that damage can make them more prone to skin cancer later.

For this Friday Fit Club, it is all about the burn. How to truly prevent a sunburn? Put on sunscreen every day, keep covered with clothing, don a hat and sunglasses, and stay in the shade. But, try telling that to your kids or try finding shade on the beach. So what do you do if that pinkness starts, if that tender-to-the-touch shoulder appears after a day in the water park?

-- Cover the area with a cool, moist washcloth.

-- Give him an anti-inflammatory. Think ibuprofen. Not only does it help with the soreness and pain, it decreases any swelling.

-- Give him water. Keeping your kiddo hydrated can help to be sure the rest of him is healthy from the day in the sun.

-- Soothe and watch the area. Use a lotion with aloe to help calm the area, but also keep an eye on it. If it starts to blister, you should probably head to the doctor to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Also, for more reading on suncare, check out a great new book by Dr. Debra Jaliman called Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist, which gives professional advice on sunscreens, sunscreen ingredients, and which sunscreens to buy!

Have your kids ever had a sunburn? Share your any home remedies and treatments!

ŠiStockphoto.com/jcarillet 

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Yes.  I apply aloe.

bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My kids are both still little and we stay inside during the heat of the day.  I know soon we'll all be back out on our boat though and I will have to get much better about applying sunscreen to all of us. 

I keep a bottle of aloe in the fridge for the rare sunburn DH or I used to get, it feels so good to put it on when it's nice and cold :)

KristinRox
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My 5 year old is the only one that has had a sunburn out of all my kids. She has red hair.. and it seems any amount of sun can give her a burn. I didnt realize how suseptable she was when she got the burn. We had drove to the grocery store, and in that short car ride she got a burn. So now Im much more on top of her.. with sunscreen, clothing to cover her skin, and a hat. While I want her to get some sun to get some vitamins.. I also have to watch carefully and limit it. 

KristinRox
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I also added aloe to help with the burn. 

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

Yes.  I apply aloe.

JOIN US ON:

millerbunch
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

nothing too serious for them.. although i have had one and i used vinegar before.. it cools it down tremendously.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN