Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Who here has had a sunburn? Yes, I have too. Not good people, not good at all. The facts are startling: the redness and pain from a burn may go away after a few days, and summer tans from sun exposure will fade as the weather turns cooler, but the damage to your skin can last years, if not your whole life. And if your kids get burned as young ones, well, that damage can make them more prone to skin cancer later.

For this Friday Fit Club, it is all about the burn. How to truly prevent a sunburn? Put on sunscreen every day, keep covered with clothing, don a hat and sunglasses, and stay in the shade. But, try telling that to your kids or try finding shade on the beach. So what do you do if that pinkness starts, if that tender-to-the-touch shoulder appears after a day in the water park?

-- Cover the area with a cool, moist washcloth.

-- Give him an anti-inflammatory. Think ibuprofen. Not only does it help with the soreness and pain, it decreases any swelling.

-- Give him water. Keeping your kiddo hydrated can help to be sure the rest of him is healthy from the day in the sun.

-- Soothe and watch the area. Use a lotion with aloe to help calm the area, but also keep an eye on it. If it starts to blister, you should probably head to the doctor to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Also, for more reading on suncare, check out a great new book by Dr. Debra Jaliman called Skin Rules: Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist, which gives professional advice on sunscreens, sunscreen ingredients, and which sunscreens to buy!

Have your kids ever had a sunburn? Share your any home remedies and treatments!

©iStockphoto.com/jcarillet 

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Thankfully not. I on the other hand get them practically all the time lol. I use aloe,it is amazing.

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

My kids have never had a sunburn but if they did we would soothe it with aloe. That seems to work the best. We try our hardest to take precautions against the sun though

elasmimi
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ouch, hurst to just look at that picture. Mine has never had a sunburn. She has fairly dark skin, and we always use sunscreen outside. I would hate to have t use these tips, but thanks in case I do need them.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Yes they have and we have used aloe and ibuprofen for the pain.

soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM
My daughter has not had a sun burn yet. :)
Madelaine
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

thanks

copperswifey
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

My kids never have, but if they did I would use aloe vera to treat it. :)

starreyedcutie
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM
No my kids haven't but my sisters get it a lot cool Aloe, cool.showers and lots of.coco butter!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

My dd has had mild sunburns, I use aloe.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I alwasy use sunscreen on DS.  He's never had sunburn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN