Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

What age do you give your kids 'The Talk?'

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Recently my 8 year old dd has been asking questions about her body and the changes it eventually goes through.

We haven't discussed sex whatsoever, but I wonder when is the right time to have that kind of talk? 

Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM

My parents did it us in 5th grade so I was 10. Kids talk about those things so young nowadays though. If she has heard things from her friends then I would sit down and tell her about it. I think its better a child hears it from their parents than from their friends.

bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM
My 3 year old is noticing that boys and girls have different parts, and he knows that he and his baby sister came from inside my tummy. I'm assuming the next question will be how did they get there, and my plan is to tell him that when a man and woman love each other, they can sometimes make a baby. Beyond that, I have no idea LOL We'll have to see what he asks when and how much info and detail I think he can handle :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Apr. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

DS is only 3 1/2 but I've always said that I would be straight foward with him and I wouldn't sugar coat it or tell him more info than he asked for.

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM
I would go ahead and talk about what she's curious about with her. We got DD the American girl book about body changes at that age and it helped. She's now 11 and we've had the full talk but because she initiated it since her friends talk about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:20 AM
I would talk to her about it. It's great that she is coming to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)