Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Do you ever order sweet, fruity, frozen cocktails at chain restaurants?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:42 AM
  • 17 Replies

Olive Garden Serves Child Fruity Cocktail Again -- Time for a Menu Change?

Posted by Adriana Velez on April 23, 2012 

two cocktailsOlive Garden may serve critically-acclaimed cuisine, but there is something deeply wrong with their beverage service. For the second time in barely over a year a child has been served an alcoholic drink at an Olive Garden restaurant. This time it was a frozen rum cocktail for a 10-year-old. If he'd been wondering all this time what Jack Sparrow's favorite drink tastes like, now he knows. Fantastic!

The server who plunked the stuff in front of the kid was supposed to have delivered a Wildberry Fullato, so you can imagine how things might get confusing, right? And this just begs the question: Do some of these chain restaurant cocktails look and taste just a little too much like kiddie drinks?

Last April Olive Garden served a three-year-old a cocktail instead of the orange juice he'd ordered. And around that same time a toddler was served a margarita at an Applebees. In both of these cases the drinks were so tasty (!!!) the kids drank most of them before anyone realized something was wrong.

So back to my question. Maybe, just maybe, those fun, fruity, super-sweet "grownup" cocktails (and I use that term loosely) are just a little too juvenile? Are there any real grownups in the building who can handle a cocktail that actually looks and tastes like a real cocktail and not something that should come with a silly straw?

And since we're talking about an Italian restaurant -- oh yeah, Olive Garden is supposed to be Italianish -- there's plenty of real Italian cocktails to choose from.

Martini: Yup, it's Italian. Mostly gin with just a bit of dry vermouth, or mostly vodka with just a bit of vermouth. Either way, it should be served ice cold. But not with ice.

Americano: Campari, Vermouth rosso, soda water. Or there's the Negroni: Campari, Vermouth rosso, dry gin. Campari is a bitter liqueur -- no mistaking it for a kid's drink, ever.

Bellini: Sparkling wine with peach nectar. Okay, this one is definitely on the sweet side. But you serve it in a champagne flute, see, so it looks like it's for an adult. Kids get the drinks in wide-mouthed tumblers, with lids and straws.

It really doesn't have to be this difficult. Enough with the "Mango Martinis" and the frozen Wild Berry Bellinis that look exactly like the kids' nonalcoholic "Frullato" smoothies. If this isn't an indication that adults are trying to relive their childhoods through booze I don't know what is. Please, order a bracing, kid-unfriendly, adult beverage that comes in an obvious bar ware glass so some innocent kid (whose parents didn't even order an alcoholic beverage!) doesn't accidentally get alcohol poisoning.

Do you ever order sweet, fruity, frozen cocktails at chain restaurants?

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I don't like overly sweet drinks  so no I have not. 

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM
I dont order alcohol out at resturants they charge waaaaay too much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I don't drink alcohol so I don't seem to have this issue.  Oh and I always sip and taste DS' food before it's given to him but this has more to do with his allergies than anything else.  :)

nngmommy83
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I do! LOL I always taste test my lil guys drinks though so this is not an issue for us

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM

We don't, and we don' t let the kids get them either. 

allboys246
by Amy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I lol'd at this.. I'm Sorry it was funny. :) 

Quoting countrymomma81:

allboys246
by Amy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I like the drinks BUT if I was ordering something like that my kids would not be with me. 

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Why? What am I missing? I don't see anything funny, but I'm ok with laughing at myself....lol. 

Quoting allboys246:

Quoting countrymomma81:

allboys246
by Amy on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Quoting countrymomma81:

Why? What am I missing? I don't see anything funny, but I'm ok with laughing at myself....lol. 

Quoting allboys246:

Quoting countrymomma81:

No I know this story is not funny at all. But when I read your comment it I read it as "no we don't order those drinks and we don't let the kids order them (as in the fruity alcohol drinks)either. I know what you were saying by not letting the kids order the nonalcoholic ones. Sorry I'm alittle off today. It was just how I read it.

countrymomma81
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Quoting allboys246:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting allboys246:

Quoting countrymomma81:

No I know this story is not funny at all. But when I read your comment it I read it as "no we don't order those drinks and we don't let the kids order them (as in the fruity alcohol drinks)either. I know what you were saying by not letting the kids order the nonalcoholic ones. Sorry I'm alittle off today. It was just how I read it.

Ha ha! I have a bad habit of saying or typing half of something. It's like I expect everyone to know everything in my head so I give you all the short version. Gets me in trouble all the time...lol. Most of the time my husband has no idea what I'm talking about. Or when I am talking and expecting him to give me an answer and I give them the stink eye when I don't get the response I want. It's usually because I've only told him half of something and I'm expecting an answer. Heh. I don't even notice that I do it. 

That's why when I'm typing here or on Facebook, I'm usually long winded because I don't want to give half assed information and confuse everyone. 

I was thinking about a particular place we bring the kids to. It's  Mexican restaurant by our house. They have these things called fruit flings, but they are like $3.00 for one. I'm not paying that. That's what was in my mind when I was giving my response...lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN