Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

"Mama, do you have a snack for me?" They are the words I hear every day at preschool pickup. Sure, all kids are hungry after a full day of art and circle time and yoga (yes, she has yoga on Fridays at her preschool...hilarious, right?). And on those days she has ballet after school, I know she needs a bit of food fuel before she heads into that dance studio clad in her little purple leotard. 

But, as I may have mentioned to you all on more than one occasion, my child is a snacker of epic proportions. Playing or watching TV or traveling to hip-hop class to anytime is snack time. It got to a point that we had to make a snack chart, so she knows she can't have 143 snacks a day (she's gets two snacks a day and unlimited fruit). And when I say "snacks," I'm talking whole-wheat crackers or soy chips or string cheese, not treats or candy or potato chips.

Though we have set limits, and the choices of what she can snack on are (mostly) healthy foods, it is tough to come up a variety of portable snacks for her. Especially now that the weather is getting better here in NYC and we are out and about more, that ability to toss a snack in the bag is a must. And don't get me started on how expensive some of these healthy-yet-portable, pre-packaged snacks are!

So, I'm on the search this week for great, healthy snacks we can all take along as we go about our days -- to have in the car, in your purse, in that baby bag to have ready so we don't have to rely on the choices in the vending machines or snack truck.

Do your kids love snacks? What is your favorite one these days to take on the go? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/AdShooter

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
elasmimi
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I just saw an article on traveling with kids, and the way they packed the car for a 1500 mile trip. A cooler is a must for icing fruit, drinks, yogurt.

starreyedcutie
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Also dried cereal is a good one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I love granola.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

My kids also love Gold fish and juicey juice.

Rushn311
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM

We always take snacks on the go. Usually it's a pebble treat for my son, or ritz crackers or vanilla cookies. My daughter will take pre-packaged peanut butter cookies or a brownie.

jessicasmom1
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Yes, we do goldfish, cheese crackers, honey wheat pretzels, chips and bottled water 

Madelaine
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

they do

Madelaine
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I bring anything that doesnt melt!

ceciliam
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Cheddar bunnies, chocoalte graham bunnies and cheese sticks.

ceciliam
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Like what?

Quoting NicholasMama608:

My son doesn't eat snacks during the day.  For long car ride or after dinner he gets something healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)