Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

The Best Portable Snacks For Your Teeth

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

Before I started writing about healthy habits, I was okay at picking good things for my kiddo, but not great. A perfect example: I thought raisins were awesome -- and yes, fit the bill of being portable. But you know what? Raisins are one of the worst snacks for your teeth. The sticky factor not only keeps their sugars in between those little teeth, it also traps anything else that comes along.

I know, we can't avoid raisins all of the time, but I have started to choose different snack choices for her with the prime purpose to be good for her chompers. What have I found:

Breakfast snacks -- A baggie of whole grain fiber cereal (non sugary of course) is a great crunchy nibble for not just morning but midday too. Many are fortified with the good stuff teeth need. Also, try making some whole grain toaster waffles and cutting them into little triangles or use a cookie cutter to make "coins."

Apples and bananas -- The crunch of the apples gets the salvia going, which washes away cavity-making acids. And that banana is chock full of potassium, another must-have for strong teeth.

Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes - Carrots are full of Vitamin A and those little red orbs are perfect way to get some lycopene that is essential for healthy gums.

String cheese - An oldie but a goodie. These portable sticks of calcium are easy to whip out and get some yummy chews that help the teeth doing the chewing. So many options are out there now - from cheddar to mozzarella to twists of both, you should be able to find one your kiddo likes.

Do your kids love string cheese? What about raisins? How do you choose snacks on the go?  

©iStockphoto.com/Workinc

by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 1, 2012 at 5:56 AM
My kids do like string cheese and only like raisins in breads. They don't care for them by themselves.
I usually carry homemade trail mix because it's easy and portable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by Charmaine on May. 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM
My kids arent big fans of raisins. But they love string cheese & other fruits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM
My kids hate raisins. But love almost all fruits
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momkaribg
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM

My 2 and a half year old loves raisins.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

My kids love string cheese!

Rushn311
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM

My kids DO love those snacks and sometimes will eat the on the go...all of those except raisins. They won't touch those things which is funny. I loved raisins as a kid.

amy7243
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM

My kids love string cheese!!! It is so darn expensive though. They dont like raisins to much.

goddess99
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My dd likes string cheese, doesn't care for raisins. We always have portable healthy snack so I just grab what we have in the pantry or fridge.

sarah824
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

These are all favorites for DD. DS likes string cheese and the whole grain waffles. 

jessicasmom1
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Cheese ... DD loves string cheese she can play with 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)