Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

The Best Portable Snacks For Your Teeth

Posted by   + Show Post

Before I started writing about healthy habits, I was okay at picking good things for my kiddo, but not great. A perfect example: I thought raisins were awesome -- and yes, fit the bill of being portable. But you know what? Raisins are one of the worst snacks for your teeth. The sticky factor not only keeps their sugars in between those little teeth, it also traps anything else that comes along.

I know, we can't avoid raisins all of the time, but I have started to choose different snack choices for her with the prime purpose to be good for her chompers. What have I found:

Breakfast snacks -- A baggie of whole grain fiber cereal (non sugary of course) is a great crunchy nibble for not just morning but midday too. Many are fortified with the good stuff teeth need. Also, try making some whole grain toaster waffles and cutting them into little triangles or use a cookie cutter to make "coins."

Apples and bananas -- The crunch of the apples gets the salvia going, which washes away cavity-making acids. And that banana is chock full of potassium, another must-have for strong teeth.

Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes - Carrots are full of Vitamin A and those little red orbs are perfect way to get some lycopene that is essential for healthy gums.

String cheese - An oldie but a goodie. These portable sticks of calcium are easy to whip out and get some yummy chews that help the teeth doing the chewing. So many options are out there now - from cheddar to mozzarella to twists of both, you should be able to find one your kiddo likes.

Do your kids love string cheese? What about raisins? How do you choose snacks on the go?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/Workinc

by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Madelaine
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

We love string cheese!

Madelaine
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I try to bring dry snacks like goldfish

ceciliam
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

My son has never been a fan of raisins...neither have I.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
My dd isn't too fond of string cheese, but she does like raisins. I try to pick snacks that are healthy that she likes.
dusky_rose
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

My youngest son doesn't like string cheese, but he does like grated cheese and he loves raisins. I like using cereal for a snack on the go.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Everyone except DH hates raisins so we're good there LOL  Everything else, we all like.  I pack cheerios as a snack sometimes, and we love cut up apples, or carrots dipped in hummus.

KaylaMillar
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

My kids love both string cheese and raisins. Yum! 

ceciliam
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I choose on the go snacks that won't make a mess:)

slw123
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My kids love string cheese.  Not so much the raisins.  I try to choose the healthiest snacks when we are on the go.

LOswald0314
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

String cheese and bananas are a hit here, and they're easy to take along.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)