Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

The Best Portable Snacks For Your Teeth

Posted by   + Show Post

Before I started writing about healthy habits, I was okay at picking good things for my kiddo, but not great. A perfect example: I thought raisins were awesome -- and yes, fit the bill of being portable. But you know what? Raisins are one of the worst snacks for your teeth. The sticky factor not only keeps their sugars in between those little teeth, it also traps anything else that comes along.

I know, we can't avoid raisins all of the time, but I have started to choose different snack choices for her with the prime purpose to be good for her chompers. What have I found:

Breakfast snacks -- A baggie of whole grain fiber cereal (non sugary of course) is a great crunchy nibble for not just morning but midday too. Many are fortified with the good stuff teeth need. Also, try making some whole grain toaster waffles and cutting them into little triangles or use a cookie cutter to make "coins."

Apples and bananas -- The crunch of the apples gets the salvia going, which washes away cavity-making acids. And that banana is chock full of potassium, another must-have for strong teeth.

Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes - Carrots are full of Vitamin A and those little red orbs are perfect way to get some lycopene that is essential for healthy gums.

String cheese - An oldie but a goodie. These portable sticks of calcium are easy to whip out and get some yummy chews that help the teeth doing the chewing. So many options are out there now - from cheddar to mozzarella to twists of both, you should be able to find one your kiddo likes.

Do your kids love string cheese? What about raisins? How do you choose snacks on the go?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/Workinc

by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My kids like string cheese, but I worry about it sticking to their teeth, same with raisins. I love your idea of cherry tomatoes, or those grape tomatoes are a sweet treat, and sliced apples.

MamaMandee
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I love both string cheese and raisins!! I base the snack on where we are going & how long we will be out and about. 

KristinRox
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM

My kids LOVE string cheese. We usually buy the big packages from Costco. Even though its the big pkg it doesnt last long :0). 

We dont usually do raisins.. my kids arent big fans at all. 

Yogurt tubes, fresh fruit like apples, bananas, pears, and grapes. 

KristinRox
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I did too. I thought they were a rocking snack when I was a kid. I have no idea why the kids dont like them so much. 

Quoting Rushn311:

My kids DO love those snacks and sometimes will eat the on the go...all of those except raisins. They won't touch those things which is funny. I loved raisins as a kid.

JOIN US ON:

elasmimi
by on May. 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM

We eat a lot of string cheese; glad to hear this.

Samanthamommy
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Yes!

soccerchik8287
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM
We love sting cheese, not raisins
Rushn311
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I know the biggest reason I liked them was that it came in a small red box. LOL

Quoting KristinRox:

I did too. I thought they were a rocking snack when I was a kid. I have no idea why the kids dont like them so much. 

Quoting Rushn311:

My kids DO love those snacks and sometimes will eat the on the go...all of those except raisins. They won't touch those things which is funny. I loved raisins as a kid.

Harris06
by Megan on May. 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

My girls love cheese! Raisins we have not really tried. My snacks on the go usually depend on what I have and where I am going. I try to always bring a variety (something sweet like grapes, crunchy like crackers, usually cheese, etc).

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM

my kids love string cheese but raisins are a no go...i let them choose what snacks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN