Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Healthy Snacks You Can Make And Take Anywhere

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

I only have one kiddo...but snacks are a huge part of our grocery budget, which is, well, a necessity yet also a bit perplexing. Whether it is the sidekick that goes along with her jelly kitty-shaped sandwich or that afterschool munch as we ride on the bus home, having portable snacks that don't break the grocery budget is key.

Enter the make-your-own snack challenge. I went on the hunt to find some good, healthy recipes that I could make on my own and maybe save a few bucks in the grocery store. Here's what I came up with:

Trail Mix

You knew this one was coming. Make your own with dried fruits, nuts (if your kid's aren't allergic - mine is), banana or apple chips, and other goodies. The great thing is you can often get the ingredients in bulk or by the pound, which saves money, and you can tailor-make this with your kids' favorites - which means less waste.

Sweet Potato Chips

I saw this on Parents.com. So much better than store-bought chips, the sweet potatoes also gives a hidden boost of nutrients and minerals. Make a big batch for not much money (and you aren't paying for all of that air in the top of the chip bag).

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 400F. Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Wash potatoes. Cut into thin slices, and place in large bowl. Pour oil onto the palms of your hands. Gently rub oil onto sweet-potato slices, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, tossing in bowl to coat evenly. Place slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Turn chips over and bake until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate; cool 5 minutes and serve.

Blueberry-Maple Muffins

We often forget how some breakfast foods can be a healthy snack too. Make these yummy muffins from EatingWell.com in mini-muffin tins to have them be uber-portable. Just pop them into a little Tupperware and chunk them in your purse and go. Really, any muffin recipe will do, but these healthy ones have mucho amounts of fiber and get those tummies full quickly.

1/5 cup whole flaxseeds
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

Grind flaxseeds in a spice mill (such as a clean coffee grinder) or dry blender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; whisk to blend. Whisk eggs and maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; whisk until blended. Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.

Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.

What snacks do you make at home?

©iStockphoto.com/ billberryphotography

by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM
During baseball season I make a homemade trail mix. I think I'm going to try the sweet potato chips. My kids like sweet potatos. Homemade granola bars are another one I want to try
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 3, 2012 at 5:52 AM
Thanks for sharing. I think i am going to try the sweet potato chips
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybugmama86
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Bump for later

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
dusky_rose
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I make banana nut muffins at home and add some oatmeal to add fiber to them. It doesn't affect the flavor either. I have tweaked this recipe to make it more healthy.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Leelee1008
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM

the non healthy o nes LOL. I love cookies and brownies 

Leelee1008
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

we are a baseball family as well, and were always bringing snacks to the field since the consession sand runs us a hefty bill.

Quoting batjmom:

During baseball season I make a homemade trail mix. I think I'm going to try the sweet potato chips. My kids like sweet potatos. Homemade granola bars are another one I want to try

amy7243
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I am going to try these!!!

jessicasmom1
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM

we always try to take bottled water, gold fish crakers, fruit, granola and or trail mix

ceciliam
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Good ideas!

Madelaine
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)