Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Pajamas are on, toys are put away, snuggles on the couch have begun while the books are read...but someone's little tummy is grumbling. I have heard from more than one mama that bedtime snacks are part of the bedtime routine. Yes, even in our house that is the case: we have a Dannon yogurt smoothie and some sort of fruit.

It got me wondering the optimum type for snack for bedtime. According to the experts, bedtime snacks should be small, nutritious, and high in complex carbs (think whole grains and fruits). So, a lollipop or bowl of ice cream really isn't the greatest choice, and our usual is somewhat on track...what about yours? For this Friday Fit Club, try one of these yummy snacks as you cuddle before heading off to Dreamland.

-- ½ cup of cottage cheese and strawberry slices, raspberries or blueberries.

-- Banana with a spoonful or two of peanut butter.

-- Cheese stick with a few whole-wheat crackers.

-- Whole-wheat toast, cut into triangles with a bit of peanut butter or cream cheese spread on top.

-- A small handful of Cheerios or other whole-wheat cereal.

Again, see the key here is the pairing up and the small size and be sure to get this into them at least 30 minutes before you expect them to fall asleep. Don't forget the milk, which also lends to the soothing of the body. And of course, brush after that bedtime snack!

Do your kids want a bedtime snack? What do you give them?

©iStockphoto.com/ Gregglmt

by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
sarah824
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

We don't do this. If the kids finish all of their dinner they get some sort of a treat, but it is usually a cookie or small piece of candy. 

MamaMandee
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

My 4 year old recently started asking for a "midnight snack" just before before bed (which is 8pm) so have been doing a small snack of cheese or fruit or crackers, etc. 

abra
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM
They don't usually get bedtime snacks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM

They usually ask for dessert and sometimes I give them a small bowl of ice cream with fruit on top.

elasmimi
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

We don't do a bedtime snack. She hasn't thought of it yet.

TheBabyFactory4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

My kids always want a bedtime snack, its usually fruit or carrots or some crackers

nngmommy83
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM

my kids don't normally eat a bedtime snack but lately DS has been asking for one and I've been giving him cereal

soccerchik8287
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Cottage cheese sounds yummy. We really dont do bed time snacks. If we watch a movie before bed we might make some popcorn but that is it
Leelee1008
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM

they do, they usually get gold fish or crackers of some sort.

Madelaine
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN