Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Do your kids make their own lunches?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do they put in it? Are they healthy? Or is it all snacks? =)

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Replies (11-13):
soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM
That sounds like a great lunch!

Quoting countrymomma81:

He helps. I make the sandwich and he picks the extras. He knows he can have a fruit( banana, apple, fruit cup, orange cup, grapes, strawberries, etc), a dairy (yogurt, cheese sticks), a "bag snack" (teddy grahams, cheez its, trail mix...anything in a bag, basically).

To drink he has a bottled water and a Capri Sun V. He likes to eat healthy so I don't have many problems. The problem will be with my daughter this year in Kindergarten. I know school lunch isn't the healthiest, but it's probably going to be better than what I can get her to pack in her lunchbox.  

bethany169
by Bethany on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Nope, they're only 4 and 1 :) DS starts pre-k in the fall and I'll probably let him choose what he wants, within reason. He likes healping me in the kitchen and usually makes pretty good choices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Our kids have been making their own lunches since they started attending school full days.  They know the basics and they have plenty of healthy options available to them that it is rarely, if ever, an issue.

Also, if they plan ahead and ask I will prepare hot foods (scrambled eggs, soups, reheated leftovers, etc) for their thermos.  "Sack" lunch are pretty limitless in our home.

For example: in the fridge we currently have hardboiled eggs, 2 kinds of homemade hummous, makings for sandwiches, chuncks of cheese, pasta, brown rice and sauteed veggies (all of which could be reheated and put in a thermos), yogurt, cottage cheese.  There are also a variety of fruits and raw veggies in the crisper.

The kids also have cold containers that allow them to take (unsweetened whole grain)cereals and milk for lunches.  

We don't really have a lot of "snack" foods.  Potato chips are a huge treat in our house.  We do have whole and multi grain chips and crackers that can be put into single serving containers.  Cookies and candy are available, but they usually go stale before they get eaten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN