Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Monday Mantra: Wheels!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

I remember all of my bikes. My red tricycle gave way to my yellow and blue two-wheeler, and then the red 10-speed came along. With all three, I never wore a helmet. And those guys that lived down the street with skateboards? Maybe one had a helmet, but definitely no elbow pads or knee guards.

Times have changed since the 70s and 80s -- not only is TAB soda gone, so have the days of so-so safety. It seems that since my daughter was born, something with wheels has been parked somewhere in our apartment: the big snap-n-go stroller, then the umbrella stroller, and now her scooter.

Granted, when she was in those strollers, we didn't really need to worry about safety, per se, except that she was properly buckled in. But now, with the scooter and bike days upon us, safety is the number one element we focus on as she travels along the city sidewalks on wheels. Sure, I'm hoping she has fun and a smile on her face, but I mostly care that she is safe.

It is tough to get our kids to do a lot of things and we may slide on certain healthy habits every now and then, but bike-scooter-skateboard, okay, let's call it wheel safety is one area where we can't skimp on.

All this week, we'll talk about keeping our kids safe as they ride those wheeled things, how to make it fun and safe.

Do you remember biking as a kid? Did you wear a helmet? Do you now wear one when you go biking with them? (You should you know!)

©iStockphoto.com/jwblinn

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soccerchik8287
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM
I always wore a helmet. I didnt use to wear a helmet (once I turned 16 my parents let me choose) but my boyfriend is all for them so I do usually wear one now
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:22 AM

We never did wear helmets really when we went biking around the neighborhood or on a trail- when we were really little we had them, but not as we got older.  

VisionSeeker
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM

We biked EVERYWHERE and never wore helmets.  But I'm also from the generation that rode around in station wagons without seatbelts and drank from a hose :)

I don't bike anymore though I'd love to get started.  I would wear a helment now just to set the example for my kids.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 7, 2012 at 6:32 AM
I use to ride my bike a lot as a kid but never wore a helmet.

I don't ride now but if I did I would wear a helmet because I make the kids wear one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM
I did not wear a helmet.

If i still rode now i would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM

i remember learning to ride my first bike which was 5 speed bike...with no helmet flying down this really steep road...i cringe at the thought of it now

countrymomma81
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I don't remember my bikes, but I remember having them. I never wore a helmet and we don't make our kids wear them. They hardly ride so it's nothing I worry about. We don't have a whole lot of place to ride. Our road is too busy and our driveway is gravel so that leaves only when we go to my MIL's which isn't often. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I never wore a helmet.My kids will.

jessicasmom1
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM

no we do not wear them she is super careful

sarah824
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I never wore a helmet as a kid. NEVER! Both of my kids are required to have a helmet on when they are on wheels. Bikes, scooters and skateboards. I don't make them wear pads though. I don't ride a boke often, but I don't wear a helmet when I do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN