Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Guarding Teeth From Accidents

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

Your six-year-old son is scooting along. He's not even going that fast. He has on his helmet. He's paying attention, having fun...and then he hits a little uneven blip on the sidewalk. He falls, the scooter falls...and he's busted his lip with his teeth or knocked his chin really hard. Evidence shows that a chin injury can damage teeth just as much as a direct hit to the mouth or lips.

I've seen quite a few kids around NYC on scooters and know a few that have lost a tooth because of a scooter injury. Yes, accidents happen. But many things can prevent a minor injury from becoming a trip to the ER to get stitches or a call to the dentist to fix those chompers.

-- Slow down on bumpier surfaces. No sidewalk is without its lumps and bumps, so teach your kids to be aware of what they are skateboarding or scootering or biking on.

-- Always wear proper gear. Pick a helmet they will wear and make sure it is comfortable, not itchy or too heavy so they won't have a reason to take it off.

-- Consider a mouthguard. If your older child is very active and goes at higher speed, consider getting a mouthguard for added protection for your teeth.

-- Check over the wheeled things. Before you and the kids head out for a ride or just a scooter-stroll, look over all of the equipment. Examine tires, screws, handlebars, pedals and so on so a malfunction that won't cause an accident either.

Have your kids every busted hard while scootering or biking? How often do you examine their bikes and wheeled things? 

©iStockphoto.com/jwblinn

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyfm
by Ashley on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Teeth accidents can happen even when you not biking etc. I chipped a tooth with a glass. I am freak about tooth safety now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Quoting ashleyfm:

Teeth accidents can happen even when you not biking etc. I chipped a tooth with a glass. I am freak about tooth safety now.

I chipped a tooth that way as well.

VisionSeeker
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM

I guess I never thought about a mouth guard when riding bikes.  I'll have to consider it.  I do make my kids wear one when playing sports.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 8, 2012 at 5:52 AM
No mouth guard while they ride bikes but they always wear a helmet. They wear a mouth guard during sports
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 8, 2012 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok maybe its just me. But kids are kids and accidents happen. There is no way to keep them completely safe unless we put them in a bubble. What kid is gonna want to ride a bike with helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a mouth guard (i know i added the knee and elbow pads but i have heard this before). We might as well wrap them in bubble wrap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
My DS chipped a tooth while running inthe health unit. My DD tried to catch him and she fell on him. But later that year we ended up getting those 2 teeth pulled out. We had a carseat mishap. It wasn't buckled for some reason and I slammed on the brakes and his whole seat went forward. That was my "worst mother of the year moment"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I agree

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Ok maybe its just me. But kids are kids and accidents happen. There is no way to keep them completely safe unless we put them in a bubble. What kid is gonna want to ride a bike with helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a mouth guard (i know i added the knee and elbow pads but i have heard this before). We might as well wrap them in bubble wrap
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

my brother chipped our best friend's two front teeth b/c we were playing hide and go seek and the best friend hid behind the bathroom door on the tub. My brother threw open the door and the doorknob busted the kid's mouth. Straightened them, though, so he never had to get braces....

goddess99
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I broke a tooth eating a donut once.. I mean honestly how does that even happen? Anyway, my dd is older she would tell me if something was wrong with her bike or scooter, she's never been a bad accident, never broke anything.

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM

i broke a tooth when my brother threw one of those light flimsy lawn chairs at me when i was a kid

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN