Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your six-year-old son is scooting along. He's not even going that fast. He has on his helmet. He's paying attention, having fun...and then he hits a little uneven blip on the sidewalk. He falls, the scooter falls...and he's busted his lip with his teeth or knocked his chin really hard. Evidence shows that a chin injury can damage teeth just as much as a direct hit to the mouth or lips.

I've seen quite a few kids around NYC on scooters and know a few that have lost a tooth because of a scooter injury. Yes, accidents happen. But many things can prevent a minor injury from becoming a trip to the ER to get stitches or a call to the dentist to fix those chompers.

-- Slow down on bumpier surfaces. No sidewalk is without its lumps and bumps, so teach your kids to be aware of what they are skateboarding or scootering or biking on.

-- Always wear proper gear. Pick a helmet they will wear and make sure it is comfortable, not itchy or too heavy so they won't have a reason to take it off.

-- Consider a mouthguard. If your older child is very active and goes at higher speed, consider getting a mouthguard for added protection for your teeth.

-- Check over the wheeled things. Before you and the kids head out for a ride or just a scooter-stroll, look over all of the equipment. Examine tires, screws, handlebars, pedals and so on so a malfunction that won't cause an accident either.

Have your kids every busted hard while scootering or biking? How often do you examine their bikes and wheeled things? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/jwblinn

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
lalasmama2007
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
No she hasn't.
Leelee1008
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

not the face, but other parts.

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

These are some good ideas. I'm thinking about sweeping off our paved area because there are loose stones on there that my son's scooter could get caught up on when he is riding. He did have an acident one time, but only scraped his side a little.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

slw123
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I worry about their teeth all the time, but you can't wrap them up in bubble wrap everytime they go outside to play.  Normal precautions are normally enough, but every once in a while it won't be.

My friends son had a tooth yanked out when he was jumping in a bounce house....a tooth that wasn't loose or ready to be lost for a few years yet.  It somehow got caught in the mesh......  Hard to prevent those freaky things from happening.

sarah824
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Accidents are going to happen. Thankfully neither kid has had a tooth injury yet, but I am not making them wear mouth guards everytime they go outside.

Madelaine
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Not yet...

amy7243
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I broke a tooth on a piece of candy before.

MamaMandee
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I never thought of having the kids use one when riding their bikes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Not really. They don't get to do those things much where we live. 

But when my son was 2 he had this little horse thing that he would buck on. He bucked himself into stuff so much that one of his little front teeth turned grey. We ended up having it pulled and his permanent teeth are fine. 

abra
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:26 PM
not yet! thanks for the tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)