Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Your six-year-old son is scooting along. He's not even going that fast. He has on his helmet. He's paying attention, having fun...and then he hits a little uneven blip on the sidewalk. He falls, the scooter falls...and he's busted his lip with his teeth or knocked his chin really hard. Evidence shows that a chin injury can damage teeth just as much as a direct hit to the mouth or lips.

I've seen quite a few kids around NYC on scooters and know a few that have lost a tooth because of a scooter injury. Yes, accidents happen. But many things can prevent a minor injury from becoming a trip to the ER to get stitches or a call to the dentist to fix those chompers.

-- Slow down on bumpier surfaces. No sidewalk is without its lumps and bumps, so teach your kids to be aware of what they are skateboarding or scootering or biking on.

-- Always wear proper gear. Pick a helmet they will wear and make sure it is comfortable, not itchy or too heavy so they won't have a reason to take it off.

-- Consider a mouthguard. If your older child is very active and goes at higher speed, consider getting a mouthguard for added protection for your teeth.

-- Check over the wheeled things. Before you and the kids head out for a ride or just a scooter-stroll, look over all of the equipment. Examine tires, screws, handlebars, pedals and so on so a malfunction that won't cause an accident either.

Have your kids every busted hard while scootering or biking? How often do you examine their bikes and wheeled things? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/jwblinn

by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
soccerchik8287
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

My daughter hasn't ever fallen hard. I check her bike over every week or so

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM

My son knocked out all four of his front teeth but not while biking. 

suziejax
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I was so afraid of my kids hitting their teeth in a fall when younger. I watched over them like a mother hen lol we tryed to be as safe as we could.

Rushn311
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My daughter has had a few spills on her bike, but no bad falls and either has my sun. Sometimes a scratch or something, nothing bad.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Not yet

fullxbusymom
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I agree sorry that is a bit much I am not making them wear a mouth guard to ride their bike or scooters that is way over the top in my opinion.  Goodness gracious let them be without mom and dad hovering all the time.  Honestly the only time I even make them wear helmets is when they are off my property. 

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Ok maybe its just me. But kids are kids and accidents happen. There is no way to keep them completely safe unless we put them in a bubble. What kid is gonna want to ride a bike with helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a mouth guard (i know i added the knee and elbow pads but i have heard this before). We might as well wrap them in bubble wrap

Harris06
by Megan on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My oldest is 3 and she has a tricycle but no, she has neer had an accident on it. Her accidents that involve her mouth/teeth have had nothing to do with her trike. Luckily, her accidents have not affected her teeth but they have been close and it scares me every time. 

timon95
by Betty on May. 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

dd fell and gave herslef a fat lip (on her birthday) trying out new rollerskates. first and last time for her :) other than that, we have had no issues. they wear their helmets, no mouthguards. both are pretty cautious.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on May. 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I also agree.  I make DS wear a helmet when biking and knee pads/elbow pads when roller skating but once his balance is better I'll let the knee/elbow pads go.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I agree

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Ok maybe its just me. But kids are kids and accidents happen. There is no way to keep them completely safe unless we put them in a bubble. What kid is gonna want to ride a bike with helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a mouth guard (i know i added the knee and elbow pads but i have heard this before). We might as well wrap them in bubble wrap

slideLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

weddingDaisypath Wedding tickers

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM
I agree. I'm all for basic precautions and safety, but at some point, we all just have to get on with life. Bad stuff can happen any time, anywhere.

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)