Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

How To Get That Helmet To Fit Right

Posted by   + Show Post

Helmets. The number one piece of equipment every single child - and adult - needs to be safe when doing stuff on wheels (and ice skates and a whole host of other sports). There are a lot of helmets out there, and they aren't cheap, so you need to do a little research to be sure you get the right one and to make sure it fits properly when you do buy it. Here are some hints:

-- You and your kids can use the same helmet for biking, rollerblading, and scootering, but skateboarders need a different type. All helmets should be lightweight, smooth, and visible to motorists.

-- Be careful of ponytails. When wearing a helmet, be sure long hair is down or pulled base of the neck. A higher ponytail can interfere with the proper fit of the helmet and not allow it to truly do its job.

-- The helmet should sit lower on the head than you may think. When fitting the helmet, it should rest one or two finger widths above the eyebrows.

-- Straps form a "Y" around each ear and should be pretty taut against the head and face. As you buckle it under the chin, be sure your child can breathe and that you can slip one finger in there. Test so that your kiddo can open her mouth, but it is tight.

-- Remind your kids to remove helmets when they are playing outside at their destination. This prevents any injuries from getting straps hooked on playground equipment or the like.

What kind of helmets do your kids wear? How do you make sure they wear them? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ArthurBraunstein

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
countrymomma81
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Thanks. 

timon95
by Betty on May. 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM

great tips! tfs...I need to go and buy my kids new helmets, they have outgrown theirs

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:35 AM

We need to get some for this year, their helmets mysteriously disappeared at the end of the year last year- too many people sharing the garage we use to store them in, I suppose!

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Quoting LOswald0314:

My son has a bell helmet, it's cute.

I always liked those bell helmets!

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Quoting soccerchik8287:

My daughter wears one when she rides bikes. They ought to put a little hole in them for ponytails. She always wears her hair down so that it fits

That's a good idea!

nngmommy83
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

TFS! these are helpful tips. We live in a bike friendly city so the shop where we bought their bikes also helped us choose their helmets

Mom2Ayden0406
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I tell my son and my daycare kids all the time "no helmet no bike/scooter." If I catch them with no helmet they lose bike/scooter priviliges for the rest of the day.

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM
None yet, DS got a hand me down bike after Christmas but it still has training wheels and he doesn't really ride it yet. I bought him a helmet right away to get him used to wearing it but so far, he's only tried to ride a couple times. He doesn't do anything else that would require a helmet yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on May. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Mine won't ride his bike yet, but we do have a helmet for him. I've been wondering how to put it on him correctly. 

wandep
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Great tips. thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN