Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Lowdown on Scooter Safety

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

You can't walk along the sidewalk here in NYC without seeing at least one kid on a scooter. Skinny scooters, tall scooters, wide scooters - you name it, they are here. Kids dash around commuters, pigeons, street vendors like they are in a video game dodging alien invaders. Scooters can go fast...really fast.

My daughter has a scooter, yet we are on the prowl for her next one. That is one key for scooter safety -- be sure the scooter fits the kiddo. Want other hints on scootering? I've got 'em:

-- Buy one that is age-appropriate scooter, not one you think she will grow into. Many provide room to grow with adjustable bars, but be sure the scooter "fits" your child now.

-- When scootering, keep away from water and speed bumps and other uneven surfaces. You would be surprised how one little wrinkle in the cement can catch a wheel and send your little one over the side.

-- Obviously, helmets have to be worn. As we have talked about already, it needs to fit properly. Even if your kids are goofing around with the scooter inside, they need to wear protection.

-- Wear the correct shoes. Solid shoes, not flip-flops or sandals or bare feet, are acceptable footwear.

-- You need to watch your kid as they scooter...especially the young ones. I read that kids under eight years old make up a quarter of all scooter injuries.

Do your kids have (or want) a scooter? What do they prefer -- bikes or scooters?

ŠiStockphoto.com/andras csontos

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrymomma81
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Oh I hate going to MIL's because they have some over there. My kids do not have the coordination and balance for these things and someone always winds up hurt. 

VisionSeeker
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:47 AM

We live in the country with chip sealed road...no place to ride these babies (yeah)

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM
My kids have the power Wing scooter. I think thats right. It actually has a place to put both feet behind I think those are safer. We have plenty of room on the basketball court for them to ride
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Ds1 who is 9 has a razor scooter. He zips all around and does tricks on it.

Ds2 who is 5 has no interest in it and prefers his bike. He does want rollerblades though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM

My boys love their scooters.

sarah824
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM

DS has a scooter and he rides it quite often. He still prefers his bike though. 

Madelaine
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

They both have a scooter

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

My youngest DS likes to ride his scooter. I have 2 that my older children used to use that are adjustable and my 13 year old niece rides the other one when she is here.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Charizma77
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Thanks for the tips. My kids have not asked for one.
nngmommy83
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

DS is getting interested but doesn't have one yet. DD lost interest awhile ago!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)