Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

You can't walk along the sidewalk here in NYC without seeing at least one kid on a scooter. Skinny scooters, tall scooters, wide scooters - you name it, they are here. Kids dash around commuters, pigeons, street vendors like they are in a video game dodging alien invaders. Scooters can go fast...really fast.

My daughter has a scooter, yet we are on the prowl for her next one. That is one key for scooter safety -- be sure the scooter fits the kiddo. Want other hints on scootering? I've got 'em:

-- Buy one that is age-appropriate scooter, not one you think she will grow into. Many provide room to grow with adjustable bars, but be sure the scooter "fits" your child now.

-- When scootering, keep away from water and speed bumps and other uneven surfaces. You would be surprised how one little wrinkle in the cement can catch a wheel and send your little one over the side.

-- Obviously, helmets have to be worn. As we have talked about already, it needs to fit properly. Even if your kids are goofing around with the scooter inside, they need to wear protection.

-- Wear the correct shoes. Solid shoes, not flip-flops or sandals or bare feet, are acceptable footwear.

-- You need to watch your kid as they scooter...especially the young ones. I read that kids under eight years old make up a quarter of all scooter injuries.

Do your kids have (or want) a scooter? What do they prefer -- bikes or scooters?

ŠiStockphoto.com/andras csontos

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM

My dd has a scooter and bike. She loves both.

abra
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
We have both. My 6 year old loves her bike, my 3 year old loves the scooter!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

My 2 older kids do have one each but they perfer their bikes. 

starreyedcutie
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:12 PM
My kids like bikes better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

My kids don't have scooters yet,They need a bit more balance before we attempt that lol

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

we have both and audree perfers her scooter

aneela
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

no he is 5 and doesnt want a scooter...

mamivon2
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

they have both.. but need new scooters..

Leelee1008
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

my kids have several scooters, Razor scooters to be exact. They are pretty safe on them. They also have bikes, they would rather ride their bikes any day.

lalasmama2007
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM
My dd has both. She prefers her bike.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)