Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

A naughty word....

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM
  • 11 Replies

CAVITIES!!!!

Here's an article I found on nickjr.com about how to prevent those pesky things!!!!  My kids always say they have to brush away the "sugar bugs" to prevent them :)

Preventing Cavities

The best way to avoid tooth decay is to ensure that your child brushes her teeth daily. Once in the morning, and once at night before bedtime. Ideally, your child's teeth should be brushed after each meal. Proper dental hygiene is the best way to keep tooth decay at bay, and here are some additional steps you can take to prevent cavities:
  • No Bedtime Bottles or Juice Drinks
    Limit the amount of sugary juices your child drinks from his sippy cup throughout the day. In addition to being high in sugar, fruit juices can also be highly acidic, so it's a good idea to dilute your child's juice for her. And never let your child fall asleep with a bottle of milk or juice at bedtime. The acid from milk and juice sitting in your child's mouth can eat away at the enamel, damaging not only his baby teeth, but potentially his adult teeth as well.

• Limit Sugary Sweets
    Some sweets are better than others, but only in moderation. "I'm a big advocate of plain chocolate as a special treat," says Dr. Hanna, "Saliva washes away much of the chocolate, so it's much less likely to cause decay than a cookie or a cracker that gets mashed into the teeth, where it can remain for a long time."

• Ask About Tooth Sealants
    Ask your dentist about tooth sealants that can protect grooved and pitted surfaces of teeth--such as the chewing surfaces of molars, where most cavities in children are found. These clear or shaded coatings are beneficial if your child has deeply grooved molars that trap food particles.

• A Note on Sealants
    Dentists can seal teeth of kids as young as 2 1/2, but generally this procedure is reserved for older kids because the patient needs to sit still and keep her mouth open while the sealant material sets up. Teeth with pre-existing cavities or decay should never have sealant applied to them.
advertisement

The Fluoride Factor

QUESTION: We have fluoride in our water, so does my child need a fluoride rinse, too? What about fluoride drops and tablets?
  • The fluoride added to municipal water sources works internally (or systemically) to protect and strengthen developing teeth while the fluoride in toothpastes and rinses work topically to help protect teeth that have already erupted. So, fluoridated rinses and toothpastes are an extra step in avoiding tooth decay.

• Pediatric dentist A. Jeffrey Wood, the chair of the Department of Pediatric Dentistry at the University of the Pacific, in San Francisco, believes that both topical and systemic fluoride are essential to the health of your child's teeth. Dr. Wood believes fluoride rinses are especially beneficial when used right before bedtime.

• If your water isn't fluoridated, or if your family drinks only well or bottled water, your dentist can prescribe fluoride tablets, lozenges, or drops. Don't buy fluoride over the counter though, because fluoride dosage needs to be tailored to each child's needs .

• Fluoride rinses should not be used by children under the age of 4. Be sure to supervise your child while he is rinsing, to ensure that he is spitting out all of the product and not swallowing it. Ingesting fluoride rinse can lead to spots on permanent teeth.
advertisement

Cavities in Baby Teeth

QUESTION: Is it necessary to fill cavities in my 3-year-old's baby teeth?
  • Dr. Grossman's answer is yes. "If it's a primary front tooth, your child will have that tooth for another three or four years. And a primary molar might remain for another six or seven years, so the decay should be taken care of before it gets worse." If the decay is not stopped, it might necessitate removing the tooth prematurely. "And taking out a tooth can lead to spacing problems that will need to be monitored closely as the secondary teeth come in," says Dr. Grossman.

• "If left untreated, bacteria in one cavity can spread, seeding your child's mouth with bacteria that may infect permanent teeth as they erupt through the gums," adds Dr. Hanna.

• If your preschooler does have a cavity that needs filling, talk with your dentist to help her determine if your child can sit still for the procedure. She might suggest waiting until your child is a little older before filling the cavity.
advertisement
Help your child avoid the stress and pain of tooth extraction or cavity filling, by taking the proper steps to ensure that your child's teeth are properly cleaned daily. Schedule bi-annual dental exams once your child's baby teeth are all in, and act promptly if you think your child has a developing cavity, or if a baby tooth begins to darken.

What other thing do you do to prevent cavities?

Cheryl

by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing!

Harris06
by Megan on May. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

My oldest is so worried about cavities that if we start doing bedtime and don't get to brushing her teeth yet she reminds me "We need to brush our teeth so we don't get cavities."

soccerchik8287
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Lol that is great!
Quoting Harris06:

My oldest is so worried about cavities that if we start doing bedtime and don't get to brushing her teeth yet she reminds me "We need to brush our teeth so we don't get cavities."

Harris06
by Megan on May. 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

What's funnier is that she has never had a cavity in her life. She just known that cavities are "owwies on your teeth." LOL

Quoting soccerchik8287:

Lol that is great!
Quoting Harris06:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

VisionSeeker
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM
I wish my oldest 11 felt that way!

Quoting Harris06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

We just brush and floss regularly. Knock on wood neither of my kids has had a cavity yet and they are 5 and 9. Hopefully it stays that way. 

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Our dentist has already recommended the sealant on back teeth to us so as soon as DS can hold still long enough, he'll get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM

no soda...brush teeth before bed....no juice at bed time...

nngmommy83
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Tfs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)