Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Chores

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

When do you or did you start your child(ren) doing chores? How did you start it? What did you start with? Did you use a fun little "system"? or just do it?

I have not "officially" started yet but my 3 year old does do chores without knowing that she is doing it and most of it is things that she does without being asked. 

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BabyCondo
by New Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

My son (19 months) has the chore of feeding the dogs and has had this chore since he could walk (10 months).  Obviously at the beginning we really had to help, but now he knows to go get the scoop and that each dog gets one scoop.  He also picks up his toys and sweeps the floor (we have a broom that sings).

sarah824
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Both kids have always had responsibilities around the house. We've always kept them age appropriate.

DS is 7-1/2 he feeds the dogs, cat and hamster. He has to make sure they have water too. He also helps take the garbage out when needed. He helps unload the dishwasher and put laundry away.

DD is almost 5 and she helps with feeding the animals. She also helps set the dinner table and puts her folded laundry away.

countrymomma81
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

They don't have set chores right now, but they are about to. Tomorrow I am going buy poster boards, fish bowls and poker chips. I will make a chore chart with points and each chip will be worth certain points. At the end of two weeks if they have enough they get to do something fun. 

I don't have it all worked out yet, but I've got the basics down. 

My 9 year old can switch clothes from the washer to the dryer and take the clothes out of the dryer. He can wash cups, plates and utensils. He can pass the Swiffer vac on the floor for me, and the wet Swiffer. He tends to his rabbit, fixes his bed and saves his clothes. 

My 5 year old can pass the Swiffer duster. She can fix her bed and for the most part clean her room. She can feed the dog and help me fold laundry. 

This isn't stuff they do all the time, but it's stuff they can do when I ask. 

timon95
by Betty on May. 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM

they have always had to help out, and were told to put their stuff away. they were always responsible for their rooms and other small tasks. now they are old enough (6 & 8) to finally follow a longer chore chart. They are no longer just responsible for their rooms and making their beds. They have now have more tasks to be responsible for. They do a pretty good job at it, some days they need reminders.

VisionSeeker
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:51 AM

My eldest has several chores.  He whines, huffs and puff, but he does them **it's a tween thing**.  My twins have things that we expect them to do like pick up their toys etc.  They do help with laundry like loading from washer to dry and will help set the table at meals.  But nothing too big yet.

nngmommy83
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

DD has always had age appropirate chores and were doing the same with DS

abra
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM
We start with them cleaning up their toys around the age of 2. We just train them to throw the toys into the bin. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccerchik8287
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

We started a small chore chart around 2 1/2. Now my daughter is 4 and has some more chores to do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN