Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Gardening with your kids

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

Gardening with Kids: Fun Plants for Children

When gardening with kids, make it more fun by choosing the right plants for children. Most kids can't tell the difference between annuals or perennials, but they definitely have their favorites!

Here are some ideas for fun plants for children when gardening with kids:
  • Kids are impressed by anything really big or really small—think giant sunflowers or tiny cherry tomatoes.
  • Kids like to grow things they can eat—like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, or strawberries. Kids love to eat produce from their own garden so gardening with kids is a good way to get kids to their veggies!
  • Good plants for children kids include anything brightly colored— such as rainbow chard and purple carrots.
  • When gardening with kids, you might experiment with soft, fuzzy plants like Lamb's ear or Bunny tails (an ornamental grass the produces soft puffy flowers).
  • Plants with lovely smells are also good for gardening with kids. Roses, lilacs and peonies are particularly fragrant. Herbs such as mint, rosemary, lemon balm, and basil are also good plants for children—plus, it's nice to have fresh herbs in your home!
  • Kids like plants that move. Win serious cool points by pinching the blossoms of a snapdragon to make the dragon's mouth open!
  • When gardening with children, try to pick some plants that have a good chance of surviving! In other words, you might want to stick with a few low-maintenance favorites like marigolds, impatiens or bulbs.

By choosing fun plants for children, gardening with kids will be even more fun. And if your garden succeeds, you'll have fresh flowers, fresh produce, and fresh herbs for your home. More importantly, you'll have a budding gardener on your hands.
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
soccerchik8287
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM
My daughter loves planting veggies and flowers in the garden
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM
We arent allowed to garden here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on May. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

My mom gardens with DS.  She has a fruit/veggie garden in her yard.

sarah824
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM

We let the kids plant sunflower seeds every year. Some years they get 8-10 feet tall with a head that is 18-24 inches across, other years they are shorter with smaller flowers. Either way the kids love it. 

VisionSeeker
by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I love sunflowers.

Quoting sarah824:

We let the kids plant sunflower seeds every year. Some years they get 8-10 feet tall with a head that is 18-24 inches across, other years they are shorter with smaller flowers. Either way the kids love it. 

timon95
by Betty on May. 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

the kids just helped me plant my flowers today. need to buy more to finish filling in the back row, they put some a little too close. oh well! they were a big help!

Harris06
by Megan on May. 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I LOVE gardening with my girls! I have not done so this year but I will and I can't wait!
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 14, 2012 at 6:17 AM
I love to garden with the kids. I started the garden for them as a leaning project. We spend all day out yesterday planting flowers, grilling and then planting the vegetable garden
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethany169
by Bethany on May. 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
We planted a couple containers together this year...and then the dog destroyed almost all of them LOL Next year, I'll plan better and have a place to put them that he can't get to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)