Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Do you think it was rude of this restaurant to put up a sign like this?

Posted by   + Show Post

Pizzeria Bans Rowdy Kids & Leaves Parents With a Bad Taste

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on May 14, 2012 

Cappy's PizzaHere we go again with the child-adverse masses out to squelch any sign or sound of youth from their daily lives. Cappy's Pizza in Florida is the latest establishment to jump on the bandwagon by officially banning rowdy kids with a ridiculously patronizing sign right when you walk in the door.

It reads: "Parents for the safety and comfort of everyone if you allow your child to run/scream/or misbehave, party will be asked to leave." Kids are completely banned from the back patio. Talk about giving a parent indigestion before she's even ordered. If I saw a sign like that when I walked into a restaurant -- especially a pizzeria decked out with video games and other stuff that caters to kids -- I'd be walking right back out again.

It's not that I don't think a restaurant has the right to ask a family to leave if they can't control their kids. I don't want to dine next to unruly ruffians (mine included) either, and I empathize with the business owner who says he's had things broken or stolen by out-of-control kids. On Facebook, owner Scooter Gabel wrote, "My dining room goes from being a dining room to a bounce house with the arrival of some families." However, it's the assumption that MOST kids can't be trusted to behave nor can their parents be trusted to handle the situation appropriately that I can't stomach. 

If they want to ask individuals who are disruptive to leave, I'd support them 100 percent, but why the need to insult all parents -- most of whom DO control their children just fine, thank you very much? And why just limit it to children, how about anyone who misbehaves? I've seen plenty of loud, obnoxious (usually drunk) adults disturb my dining experience too.

Yesterday my husband took my mom and me out to a lovely four-course lunch for Mother's Day in a fancy restaurant with lots of champagne and more silverware per place setting than my children had ever seen. Was I nervous that my 3-year-old might get tired and act out in such a setting, or that my 8-year-old would start trouble with her? Sure, but I was also prepared to take them out (or make my husband take them out since it was Mother's Day) at any minute if they did. Guess what? They behaved beautifully during the entire two-hour ordeal (and played a lot of games on the iPhones). Some days it may not have gone like that, but I bristle at the assertion that I as a parent won't handle whatever happens.

Sure there are parents who don't, but in my experience, they are the exception rather than the rule, and the rest of us shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens and be warned just because we have children. It's rude and condescending, and frankly, it's bad business.

Do you think it was rude of this restaurant to put up a sign like this?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Replies (21-25):
nngmommy83
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

nope, I expect my kids to act properly when we go to a restaurant and if they don't we leave.

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I think it's better than just outright banning kids. It's not saying "all kids and parents suck and can't control themselves", it's saying *if* y'all can't behave, you have to leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Rude, no. But honestly it shouldnt need to be put up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Ayden0406
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I think it is great. I hate going to a restaurant and I have screaming kids all around me. It makes it hard for me as a parent to keep my child behaved when there are other children running around acting like fools. I listen to noisy kids at work all day long so when I go out to eat with my child, I want to relax and enjoy his company without listening to unbehaved children. I personally find parents that allow their kids to misbehave to be the rude ones.

LucyHarper
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM

No, I don't think its rude at all. I do think its rude for parents to allow their children to run and scream through restaurants. Children act up, and if they do, its the parents responsibility to remove them from the situation, before they disrupt others, and if they don't the restaurant is only giving fair warning that they will ask them to leave. Its not like they are saying "no kids allowed, they are all bad", they are simply warning that if children misbehave, they will be asked to leave. Its dangerous to have children running around restaurants, they can easily trip waiters with heavy trays, and letting them scream is just plain rude to everyone else there, no matter the sort of restaurant. They aren't treating parents as second class citizens, they are simply telling them they are not above the rules, if an adult were to yell and run through a restaurant, they would be told to leave, some parents believe they are above those rules and their kids can do as they please in public, the restaurant is just warning that that is not the case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN