Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Monday Mantra: Teaching the Basics

Posted by   + Show Post

My kiddo does not know how to tie her shoes. She just turned five... I don't know if that is behind or not. Is she starting to read, yes. Can she do basic addition, she's getting there. Does she know what gravity is? Crazily, yes.

But she doesn't know how to do that basic skill of tying her shoes. So many of us focus on pushing our kids, getting them to be advanced in sports or dance or school stuff, sometimes we forget about the basics healthy habits, like learning snaps, dinner table 101, zipping up a coat.

With this stuff, as most things in life, it takes practice. It may take inventive thinking (games, silly songs, and so on), it could take a long time. And remember, for these skills, tap into a variety of teachers in your kid's world. Maybe Dad is the master instructor for tying shoes, while Grandma is the perfect guide for using a "big girl" cup.

And it takes patience. On our part, especially. Remind yourself to keep it fun and not to get frustrated when it takes 15 minutes longer in the morning to get out the door because he is tying his shoes. Take a deep breath and realize this is important. And it is not bad -- your son isn't dawdling on purpose. He's learning, he's trying these things out for the first time...the more you encourage him, keep him focused, the faster he will learn these skills.

What basic skills are your kids working on these days? How's it going?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Bmcent1

by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I did when they were little but my kids are 17, 13 and 12 and I have never found any of those workbood geared towards their ages.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

They are just working on getting the last day of school behind them so that they can enjoy their Summer.  :-)

Do you ever buy the summer work books so they can work on them a little at a time throughout ? Keep their brain going. I always wondered if kids worked well with them or not.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on May. 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

DS is delayed with fine motor skills so he has trouble tying shoes, and coloring or holding a crayon.  He can't write his name or any numbers/letter.  We are working on shapes right now.

Charizma77
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM
My 5 yo is still learning to tie her shoes too
soccerchik8287
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My daughter is 4 & working on tying her shoe. She doesn't have any shoes that have easy laces to tie though. She either wears velcro shoes or sperry's - and the laces on sperry's are just tough to tie!

KristinRox
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My dd is also 5 and she is learning how to tie her shoes. She is also learning how to make short sentences. Shes doing pretty good.

timon95
by Betty on May. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM

yup, same here. no matter how many times we teach them and show them, they never do a good job with their teeth. i think part of it is them being lazy and just being quick so they do not miss anything.

Quoting goddess99:

I'm still trying to get my dd to brush her teeth properly and wash her hair correctly. She's 9.

KristinRox
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

My 10 year old is learning the same .

Quoting mamivon2:

Mine are 9 and 10.. right now they or Im working on respecting others, becoming more indepent, how to cook and all that stuff

JOIN US ON:

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My son is almost 4 and still in velcro, this summer, he started putting on his own flip flops with a strap in the back LOL  He gets dressed by himself but is still working on buttons, snaps, etc.

KristinRox
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I just potty trained my 2.5 year old. Thankfully it only took a week. All three of my other children learned within a week of being 2... and I knew Chase was old enough.. but he wasnt quite ready. So yeah, I know what you mean.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Its potty training time.....not going well.

I dont think he is ready for it, but he is old enough for it ...does that make sense?

JOIN US ON:

KristinRox
by Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

My girls are also just focusing on getting through school to get to the summer.

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

They are just working on getting the last day of school behind them so that they can enjoy their Summer.  :-)

JOIN US ON:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)