Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monday Mantra: Teaching the Basics

Posted by   + Show Post

My kiddo does not know how to tie her shoes. She just turned five... I don't know if that is behind or not. Is she starting to read, yes. Can she do basic addition, she's getting there. Does she know what gravity is? Crazily, yes.

But she doesn't know how to do that basic skill of tying her shoes. So many of us focus on pushing our kids, getting them to be advanced in sports or dance or school stuff, sometimes we forget about the basics healthy habits, like learning snaps, dinner table 101, zipping up a coat.

With this stuff, as most things in life, it takes practice. It may take inventive thinking (games, silly songs, and so on), it could take a long time. And remember, for these skills, tap into a variety of teachers in your kid's world. Maybe Dad is the master instructor for tying shoes, while Grandma is the perfect guide for using a "big girl" cup.

And it takes patience. On our part, especially. Remind yourself to keep it fun and not to get frustrated when it takes 15 minutes longer in the morning to get out the door because he is tying his shoes. Take a deep breath and realize this is important. And it is not bad -- your son isn't dawdling on purpose. He's learning, he's trying these things out for the first time...the more you encourage him, keep him focused, the faster he will learn these skills.

What basic skills are your kids working on these days? How's it going?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Bmcent1

by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-36):
timon95
by Betty on May. 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

yea, we need to work on shoes. i told dh that is the one thing he needs to teach them. i can teach everthing else, but i just do not have the patience for shoes. i have a feeling dd will pick it up quick, she seems to excel in these areas. ds will take longer - always has since he was born. we are working on him to be more independent and to start trying things for himself.

Kmakksmom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:26 AM

My girls have already learned all the basics.  Now it's just my 3 year old son that we are working with now.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

DS is 5 will be 6 in August.  He has been reading on entering 1st gradelevel since the middle of K;  counts, recognizes ands writes  to 100, knows basic math and subtraction, and is learning to tell time.

He is still learning to tie shoes, snap snaps and button some buttons.

heather-bear
by New Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Buckling her seat belt. She's 4 1/2.
abra
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Potty training!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

do they normally know how to tie their shoes then?! crap!  I am behind!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)