Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Know The Proper Brushing Basics?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

We talk every week about this basic skill -- brushing teeth. We all know to help them out, to sing a little song to keep them brushing for the proper amount of time, to make sure they brush twice a day (at least).

But how about the real basics? That list of tooth brushing facts, the nitty-gritty details? Do you know them well enough to teach them to your kids? I sure don't. Let's review!

-- Kids should be using a toothbrush with soft bristles.

-- Remember a pea-size bit of toothpaste is all you need. Yeah, those ads with the long strip of paste, curled up at the end just so, well, that just looks good. A small, little round amount is perfect.

-- We should hold the brush at a 45-degree angle and use small strokes, back and forth, not in circles.

-- For the front teeth and inside of the teeth, use up and down strokes.

-- Focus on covering two or three teeth at time.

-- Don't forget to floss. I know I am bad at this myself, but those little flossers make it so easy to help Kiddo get into the flossing habit.

Like every other basic skill, the more fun you make it the better. Have your child select a cool character toothbrush if that helps, or one in her favorite color. Pick a flavor of toothpaste they like. Bring in a stuffed animal and give Catty her own little toothbrush. Also, try putting them in charge of it. Have them repeat to you what each step is, make a funny poem to remember to brush and floss.

Which of these brushing facts were you surprised about (or forgot)? Me: I didn't know about the covering to two or three teeth at a time.

ÂŠiStockphoto.com/nataliiap

by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM
I had always heard to use circles lol also our pedi dentist said toothpaste isn't even necessary until they can spit it out properly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 22, 2012 at 6:23 AM
I have always heard to use circles. So the up and down on the front was new to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 22, 2012 at 6:23 AM
Same here

Quoting nngmommy83:

I had always heard to use circles lol also our pedi dentist said toothpaste isn't even necessary until they can spit it out properly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Quoting batjmom:

I have always heard to use circles. So the up and down on the front was new to me

Me too!

VisionSeeker
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Thanks for sharing.  I learned a few things :)

HeatherNYC
by Cafemom Blogger on May. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Hey ladies -- Heather here! Yeah, there are a few ideas on brushing. From what I have seen, up and down is good for inside, hard to reach part of the teeth, as well as short back and forth strokes. I've heard circles as well, though too! Our experts from Oral B may have more ideas on other posts as well...

Flossing is still my main issue!

lalasmama2007
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Quoting batjmom:

This what I thought too...
sarah824
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

We were recently at the dentist so they told us these then. None of them surprised me, but I am bad about flossing and making the kids floss. 

goddess99
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

When I was growing up I thought they used to say to brush in circles.

MamaMandee
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I need to pick up the kids some more of the flossers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)