Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

How To Teach Your Kid Any Skill

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

They say once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget. You get that basic skill down, and then you always know how to do it. The same kind of mentality goes for teaching your kid any basic skill. Now, I'm not saying potty training is just like getting them to tie their shoes, but some of the essential ideas and methods - dare I call them mantras? -- to teach your kiddo life skills are the same no matter what you are teaching them.

-- Do your research. Read, ask other moms, ask your mom, talk with your husband, of course, read and ask the awesome ladies her on CafeMom about what you are about to embark upon, like ideas on reward charts or what to call the laces beyond bunny ears. Getting hints and ideas before you kick off an event is great as it gives you other options if the ones you try first don't work.

-- Remind yourself your kiddo may mess up...and that is ok. They are little. They haven't done these things before. From buttoning his shirt wrong to spilling a glass at the dinner table, remember they are going to not get it right every time. We don't...why should we expect them to? Check your expectations at the door.

-- Remember the tricks. From coming up with a song on or an idea on what to imagine when they are trying to visualization, imagination, creative thinking, fun words to describe the action can all help the kids learn and retain the know-how of these skills.

-- Be consistent. This is huge. If one day you let him get dressed himself or eat with a regular cup, keep that going. Switching back and forth does let him learn and get that muscle (and mind) memory going, doesn't let him figure his own little tricks to getting it done for himself. It really can speed up the learning curve.

What have you found always works when try to teach your kids a healthy habit?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnsonLu

by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
timon95
by Betty on May. 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

they are visual learners, so if i am going to teach them something they have to see either my husband or myself doing it first. they need a demo. of course that doesn't always work. we just keep trying and don't stress about it too much.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 23, 2012 at 6:39 AM
Hands one learning, watching someone else do it, and repetition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pool2Be
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Being a good role model for them.   I want my kids to eat healthier and take care of themselves so what better way to teach them than to lead by example?   I think that's the best way to go about teaching them.

VisionSeeker
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I have to show them how to do something...they learn by seeing.  But we also do a lot of repetition too.

sarah824
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We show them several times. 

When it came to learning to tie his shoes DS could NOT get it when we were trying to show him, but then a few weeks later he just got it and now he is a pro. :-) 

lalasmama2007
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Lead by example and consistency is very important.
soccerchik8287
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Being consistent always helps us!
Madelaine
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Being patient is the key.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Treating the habit as though it is perfectly normal - they don't feel pressured.

kaidansmylife
by Stacie on May. 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Consistency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN