Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

They say once you learn to ride a bike, you never forget. You get that basic skill down, and then you always know how to do it. The same kind of mentality goes for teaching your kid any basic skill. Now, I'm not saying potty training is just like getting them to tie their shoes, but some of the essential ideas and methods - dare I call them mantras? -- to teach your kiddo life skills are the same no matter what you are teaching them.

-- Do your research. Read, ask other moms, ask your mom, talk with your husband, of course, read and ask the awesome ladies her on CafeMom about what you are about to embark upon, like ideas on reward charts or what to call the laces beyond bunny ears. Getting hints and ideas before you kick off an event is great as it gives you other options if the ones you try first don't work.

-- Remind yourself your kiddo may mess up...and that is ok. They are little. They haven't done these things before. From buttoning his shirt wrong to spilling a glass at the dinner table, remember they are going to not get it right every time. We don't...why should we expect them to? Check your expectations at the door.

-- Remember the tricks. From coming up with a song on or an idea on what to imagine when they are trying to visualization, imagination, creative thinking, fun words to describe the action can all help the kids learn and retain the know-how of these skills.

-- Be consistent. This is huge. If one day you let him get dressed himself or eat with a regular cup, keep that going. Switching back and forth does let him learn and get that muscle (and mind) memory going, doesn't let him figure his own little tricks to getting it done for himself. It really can speed up the learning curve.

What have you found always works when try to teach your kids a healthy habit?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnsonLu

by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
ceciliam
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

consistency

dusky_rose
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Being calm, patient and encouraging, and letting them know its ok if they make a mistake, they can try again when they are ready.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

goddess99
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Consistency and patience.

MamaMandee
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

This!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Lead by example and consistency is very important.

copperswifey
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I agree with this. Lead by example :)

Quoting Mrs.Pool2Be:

Being a good role model for them.   I want my kids to eat healthier and take care of themselves so what better way to teach them than to lead by example?   I think that's the best way to go about teaching them.

Kmakksmom
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I just keep trying and trying.  They eventually get it.

slw123
by on May. 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Positive reinforcement and praise always works.  It gets their confidence up.

abra
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Consistency!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellowdaisy2011
by New Member on May. 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Consistancy and routine! My DD has a very difficult time reading, we have an hour before bed every night where everyone in the family reads a book, magazine or newspaper. She's now in the habit of reading a few books to her younger sibblings before bed every night.

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Repetition and reminding myself to stay patient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)