Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Do you think Organic matters?

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
  • 14 Replies
in food or other household products?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VisionSeeker
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I *personally* think it matters.

IMO that's why we have the diseases like cancer etc.  I think what we're exposing our bodies to, really does matter.

wemdsd6
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Yes, I think it matters, since moving to organic foods, my kids just seem to be healthier. I also am finding that with some organic, it doesn't spoil as fast. I was buying regular milk and with in 4 to 6 days of the pull date it was starting to spoil. When I moved to organic milk, it would be a good 2 weeks past the pull date and it was still good.  I am glad that we made the choice to change and in the long run I think it is just better for us.

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I think so for somethings but not everything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Same here

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

I think so for somethings but not everything

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I don't really think it matters personally. I have a friend who is a dairy farmer and she says that when it comes to meat and dairy from cows there really is no difference. I know it is more expensive so we eat healthy, non-organic foods. 

Harris06
by Megan on May. 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I'm not so sure about cleaners and all, I use them sometimes and like them better sometimes but some times its just crap. 

As far as food, I read a study years ago about how organic doesn't matter in as many things as we thing. It said, more or less, that vegetables and fruits are good to buy organic but other than that there really is not a significant difference other than the pricetag. I wish I could find that study now. I have seen others like it but cannot find that one.

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I do think it matters.  I buy a lot of organic

mik1of3
by New Member on May. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Food, drink, and nutritional supplements, yes.   I go by personal experience on that...with our kidlet and my own.
When kidlet was 8, and in 4th grade, her pediatrician told us her body was gearing up for puberty.  At EIGHT!  He said he thought he had detected it early enough to stave it off...but we'd have to go organic.  At least in dairy.  He said the hormones they pumped cows full of to keep their milk flowing was in the products we consumed and that hormone was, a lot in the medical community suspected, 'tricking' the pituatary gland in girls to beginning puberty earlier and earlier.  He said we needed to go organic if possible..and that he realized this was more expensive, so at the very least, go organic in dairy.  We did, and we were able to keep her from entering puberty until she was 11 years old...normal time for girls.
I did ask around her class--and most of the girls did start their periods by fourth or fifth grade--the ones who didn't were either vegans, very skinny, or, like us, keeping organic.  Pretty big coincidence.
And then, we looked at the 'swine flu epidemic' a couple years ago.  I'd say a little more than a third of her middle school contracted it.  Myself, I haven't had the FLU since 2000....I did contract an upper respiratory infection this year, the sickest I've been in 12 years...right after I went off organics (the lack of quality didn't justify the cost--I suspect a result of the drought we had last year here in Texas.)  Otherwise, my immune system is superhero like!

Cleaning supplies?  I don't know about those.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on May. 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Not to me.  I can't afford organic even if it does make a difference.

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Where in TX are  you?  We're just north of Austin :)

Quoting mik1of3:

Food, drink, and nutritional supplements, yes.   I go by personal experience on that...with our kidlet and my own.
When kidlet was 8, and in 4th grade, her pediatrician told us her body was gearing up for puberty.  At EIGHT!  He said he thought he had detected it early enough to stave it off...but we'd have to go organic.  At least in dairy.  He said the hormones they pumped cows full of to keep their milk flowing was in the products we consumed and that hormone was, a lot in the medical community suspected, 'tricking' the pituatary gland in girls to beginning puberty earlier and earlier.  He said we needed to go organic if possible..and that he realized this was more expensive, so at the very least, go organic in dairy.  We did, and we were able to keep her from entering puberty until she was 11 years old...normal time for girls.
I did ask around her class--and most of the girls did start their periods by fourth or fifth grade--the ones who didn't were either vegans, very skinny, or, like us, keeping organic.  Pretty big coincidence.
And then, we looked at the 'swine flu epidemic' a couple years ago.  I'd say a little more than a third of her middle school contracted it.  Myself, I haven't had the FLU since 2000....I did contract an upper respiratory infection this year, the sickest I've been in 12 years...right after I went off organics (the lack of quality didn't justify the cost--I suspect a result of the drought we had last year here in Texas.)  Otherwise, my immune system is superhero like!

Cleaning supplies?  I don't know about those.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN