Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monday Mantra: Saying Yes and Having Fun

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

Think about your day...or your yesterday or your last hour. Count how many times you said no and how many times you said yes. To anything, but especially to your kids.

Hmmm. Right? A little troubled by the tally? I know, I get into a pattern too...a pattern of many Nos and that rare Yes. No, you can't have another bowl of pretzels. No, you can't watch another show. No, you can't shave the dog...or dye his fur rainbow colors. No, I can't make a playdoh brontosaurus right now, I'm making dinner. YES, I am tired!

I interviewed a playwright a few months ago, and she said that every once and a while, she will have a Yes day. Where she says Yes to everything her kids ask (not to anything where they could possible hurt themselves others or the house, but you get the idea). Yes, you can have another bowl of ice cream. Yes, I can stop what I am doing and draw 15 cats on a tightrope for you to color. She said it was freeing for her and, of course, the kids loved it.

I really like this idea. We get so caught up in our everyday stuff, the carpool, the afterschool, the dishes, that sometimes, we have to be reminded to take a breath, say yes more, and lighten up and have more smiles every day. Nothing huge, but simple everyday switches to being more positive and having more fun -- don't we all need that? So, this week, we've got some great hints on teaching your kids this healthy habit too, and how the whole family can practice it together.

Do you say No more than you say Yes? When do you find yourself saying No the most? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ stevehullphotography

by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VisionSeeker
by on May. 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Great Article!  Thanks for the reminder to "let up" some.

bethany169
by Bethany on May. 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I try to really think before I say "no" and see if there's a version of "yes" that will work for both of us. But I like the idea of a totally "yes" day, we're going to try that soon :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM
That's what I do also

Quoting bethany169:

I try to really think before I say "no" and see if there's a version of "yes" that will work for both of us. But I like the idea of a totally "yes" day, we're going to try that soon :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccerchik8287
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM
I think it is about equal here. I try to say yes more. The only reason I may say no a little more is if I say yes, the questioning stops. Sometimes I have to say no two or three times
sarah824
by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Depends on the day with the kids. If it is a mellow, relax at home kind of day then there are more yes answers. If it is a day with lots going on then they tend to hear no more often.

abra
by on May. 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I think it's about 50/50 in our house. :) I say no the most in the morning before I've had my coffee! lol!

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I do say no too much i think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on May. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I try not to say no to DS a lot.

timon95
by Betty on May. 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM

i probably do say no more than i say yes. i tend to no the most when they are asking for snacks right before a meal, or when they want to play when it is time for school work. i don't say "no" just to say no and be mean, i usually have a good reason saying "no".

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 29, 2012 at 6:31 AM
This is really interesting. Its about 50/50 here. But with 2 boys right before summer they are asking to do a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)