Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monday Mantra: Saying Yes and Having Fun

Posted by   + Show Post

Think about your day...or your yesterday or your last hour. Count how many times you said no and how many times you said yes. To anything, but especially to your kids.

Hmmm. Right? A little troubled by the tally? I know, I get into a pattern too...a pattern of many Nos and that rare Yes. No, you can't have another bowl of pretzels. No, you can't watch another show. No, you can't shave the dog...or dye his fur rainbow colors. No, I can't make a playdoh brontosaurus right now, I'm making dinner. YES, I am tired!

I interviewed a playwright a few months ago, and she said that every once and a while, she will have a Yes day. Where she says Yes to everything her kids ask (not to anything where they could possible hurt themselves others or the house, but you get the idea). Yes, you can have another bowl of ice cream. Yes, I can stop what I am doing and draw 15 cats on a tightrope for you to color. She said it was freeing for her and, of course, the kids loved it.

I really like this idea. We get so caught up in our everyday stuff, the carpool, the afterschool, the dishes, that sometimes, we have to be reminded to take a breath, say yes more, and lighten up and have more smiles every day. Nothing huge, but simple everyday switches to being more positive and having more fun -- don't we all need that? So, this week, we've got some great hints on teaching your kids this healthy habit too, and how the whole family can practice it together.

Do you say No more than you say Yes? When do you find yourself saying No the most? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ stevehullphotography

by on May. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
suziejax
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I dunno I say it when it needs to be said 

Harris06
by Megan on May. 29, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I like to think that I am conscious of my "no's" and pretty balanced but thank you for the idea to have a "yes" day once a month or so. What a fun childhood memory! I think I will pen that in for the month of June. I better just make it a day that we stay home or I'll go broke; "can I get this baby? Barbie? Sucker? etc." LOL

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

countrymomma81
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I do say "no" too much. I try not to, but it happens. 

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM

I try to say yes as much as I can- and when I say no, to really mean it, not just say it.  That gets harder when I am tired and fighting being lazy.  

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

All the time. I feel bad that I can't say yes all the time but I can't lol.

That is true, you just can't say yes all the time!

sunshine86912
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

oh my gosh, at the store..kids asked for everything, no no no no. mom why do you always say no?  why do you ask for so many things you know you arent getting?!  I wont say no if you just dont ask lol

sexiyesi
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM
I usually say yes to everything. "Mommy can you play with me?" "Yes, after mommy is done cleaning." or "mommy can I have a snack?" "Yes, after you've eaten dinner." this way the kids don't hear the word no often and my house stays positive. For those mommies that take trips to the stores with their kids; say, "yes you may pick 1 item. If you misbehave at the store then you put your item back!" I go with my kids and never have a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaistheword87
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:24 AM

A country doesn't become rife with spoiled brats due to an inability to say "yes."

Babujai
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I try to do "no...but" and offer something else.

Quoting nngmommy83:

That's what I do also

Quoting bethany169:

I try to really think before I say "no" and see if there's a version of "yes" that will work for both of us. But I like the idea of a totally "yes" day, we're going to try that soon :)

marie519
by New Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I love this!!!! I feel like sometimes all i do is say no..... especially when he's having one of his "meltdown" days.... where all day is just a fight and tantrum..... and it seems all i do is say no.... I am defintely goin to give this a shot this weekend!!! after all we have been through lately, I do believe this will be a welcome good thing!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)