Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Grilled Dinner Menu 5/23

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 4 Replies

Bangin' Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 2 skewers Calories: 140 • Fat: 4.7 g • Protein: 18.5 g • Carb: 4.2 g • Fiber: 0.1 g • Sugar: 2.8 g
Sodium: 266.9 mg

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp scallions, chopped fine
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Sriracha (or to taste)

For the Shrimp:

• 40 large (12.8 oz) raw shrimp, shelled and deveined (weight after peeled)
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • oil spray

Directions:

Combine the mayo, scallions, sweet chili sauce and sriracha sauce in a
small bowl. Set aside.

Edamame Fried Rice
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Size: just under 1 cupCalories: 202 • Fat: 5.8 g • Protein: 8.6 g • Carb: 28.5 g • Fiber: 4.3 g • Sugar: 1.1 g
Sodium: 244.1 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

• 3 cups leftover cooked brown rice
  • 2 egg whites, scrambled
  • 1 whole egg, scrambled
  • 1 tbsp Smart Balance oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • cooking spray
  • 1 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
  • 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste)
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper. In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

Let the wok get really hot. Add oil and cook onions, scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn. Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through. Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.

Mommy to 3 and devoted wifey.  Yoga posing, meditating, cooking, baking, upcycling, crafting, gardening, and reading fool.  Did I mention opinionated, friendly, loyal, and hippish?

by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
VisionSeeker
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM

now if you don't want fried rice...here's something else that this would go well with:

Light, fresh and crisp slaw made with shredded cabbage, carrots, lime juice, rice vinegar and a slightly under-ripe mango topped with sesame seeds. A perfect side to fish, pork and even burgers.

Feels like summer here in New York, I bet a lot of you are firing up your grill, and what's more popular than cole slaw with those burgers and grilled meats! When I make a slaw, I never make the creamy mayonnaise slaw like they sell in the deli with all the sugar in it, I actually despise the stuff! I prefer to keep it light and fresh.

Slightly under-ripe mango's are used in this recipe. In South America, a typical street food snack is under-ripe mango with lime juice and salt. The mango isn't quite sweet yet and the texture is firm which is perfect for cutting the mango into strips for this recipe. You can use red cabbage or white or a combo of both. Sometimes I buy it pre-shredded to save time, it's even great with broccoli slaw! This lasts a few days refrigerated.

Gluten-free, low-carb, dairy-free, vegan and egg-free.

Asian Cabbage Mango Slaw
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6
Ingredients:

• 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 mango, not fully ripe
  • 3 medium scallions, chopped
  • 3 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp black and white sesame seeds

Directions:

Julienne the mango (cut into strips). Combine with the cabbage, carrots, scallions and toss together in a large bowl.

Prepare the dressing by whisking together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice; slowly whisk in the oil.

Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.

Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
countrymomma81
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Thanks. 

Harris06
by Megan on May. 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thw skewers I could pass on but the rice looks like something I would really like!

abra
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Yummy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN