Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Fruit of the Month (May/June)

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 20 Replies

Your kids may not need a reason to eat fresh strawberries, but the health benefits certainly sweeten the deal. Loaded with vitamin C, strawberries are also a good source of potassium, manganese, and fiber. Now is the time to enjoy them at their prime.

Do your kids like strawberries?  What are some of the ways you serve them?

For the rest of this month and June, lets add some tried and true recipes that Moms can make with their kids to introduce their kiddos to this awesome fruit.

Mommy to 3 and devoted wifey.  Yoga posing, meditating, cooking, baking, upcycling, crafting, gardening, and reading fool.  Did I mention opinionated, friendly, loyal, and hippish?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VisionSeeker
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Dessert Nachos  

Dessert Nachos

This Mexican-style treat swaps the heat of jalapenos for the sweetness of fresh strawberries. Set out the ingredients buffet style for kids to serve up their own after-dinner treat.

Ingredients
  • 3 6-inch flour tortillas
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 8 ounces vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut or white chocolate shaving 
Instructions
  1. To make the tortilla chips, heat the oven to 350ยบ. Cut the tortillas into triangles, lay them on a baking sheet, and spritz them with cooking spray.

2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the tops of the tortillas and bake for 12 minutes or until crisp.

3. For homemade strawberry sauce, combine the strawberries, orange juice, and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar in a blender. Puree the ingredients until smooth.

4. Once the chips have cooled, set them on a plate. To complete the buffet, set out separate bowls containing the strawberry sauce, yogurt, chopped strawberries, and coconut or chocolate shavings. Serves 4 to 6.

BelindaDuvessa
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Strawberries are about the only berry I eat.  I like Strawberry shortcakes.  Just the little cake, fresh cut strawberries, and a tiny dab of cool whip....perfection!  I'll also eat them just by themselves.  I'm not really that picky.

sarah824
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM

We grow strawberries in the backyard. When they come in the whole neighborhood comes over and we all pick like crazy and eat them right off the plant. I can't keep DD out of them. She will try to eat them before they are ready if I am not watching her.

Harris06
by Megan on May. 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh my, yes, my girls LOVE strawberries!! They like them cut in half, whole, in yogurt, pretty much anyway.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM

we all love strawberries.   I put them in vanilla protein shakes, on Greek yogurt, kids like them cut up on strawberries

abra
by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM
we love strawberries! My kids love to eat them raw, or over yogurt, in a fruit smoothie, in salad or strawberry shortcake for dessert!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My son does. One day my daughter does, the next day she doesn't....lol. We just serve them plain. I'm not creative with ideas, that's why I love these posts. 

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on May. 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM

we love strawberries...i just cut them up and serve them

soccerchik8287
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

We love strawberries. My favorite way to eat them is with crepes or in popsicles

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on May. 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM
We love strawberries
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)