Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

How Often Should You Change Your Toothbrush?

Posted by   + Show Post

Even if the bristles are frayed, my kiddo has a hard time changing toothbrushes. Even if we get the same Hello Kitty pink one, she's has a rough time letting go...not sure why.

But we have to change our toothbrushes, right? You betcha - according to the American Dental Association, we should do that every three months. I always thought it was because of the cleanliness factor, that germs would build up on the brush, but it is more the wear on the bristles. If you are a heavy brusher, your toothbrush may wear out faster than the usual three months.

Now, some dentists say to change your toothbrush if you have been sick, and if you have gum problems, you should change it out about every month or sic weeks. But for the most part, you can just look at your brush and know when it is time for a change.

How to tell when your kid's brush is ready to be changed - look at the direction of the bristles. If they are splayed out in different directions, then it is time to get a new one. Also, those indicators, the blue line now on most brushes, is also a good way to tell when it is time - when it starts to fade, start to look for a new brush.  

When was the last time you changed your toothrbush?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ t3000 

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
elasmimi
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Our dentist gives us a new one every four months. I still get new ones if we are sick.

Samanthamommy
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM

About 2 weeks ago.

abra
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
2 weeks ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I change mine about every 6 months. For the children it is when they look yucky.

Wish2Be
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I was always told that we change our toothbrushes when the bristles start to get worn or bendy. Never really thought about the bacteria issues.

I change mine approx. every 4 -6 months.

timon95
by Betty on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

this

Quoting VisionSeeker:

I try to change out toothbrushes at least every 3 months.  If someome has been sick, theirs gets changed then so they don't reinfect themselves.

family car

slw123
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I try to do it every 3 months.

Charizma77
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM
I changed the kids yesterday. It's been a few months since dh and I got new ones.
mamivon2
by Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

maybe once a month or so

CANDYLC
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Every month
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)