Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know me and books. I love them, especially when I can use them to help the kiddo get through a rough time or learn about something new. This is especially a good idea when you and your family are going through a change. They have tons of books about welcoming a new addition to the family or entering preschool or kindergarten, as well other life switches. When we moved apartments, I went out a got a few of these books about moving and I do think it helped any anxious moments in her new bedroom at night. Check out these titles:

Big Ernie's New Home: A Story for Children Who Are Moving by Teresa Martin - A sweet book about a boy moving into a new home. Perfect for youngers kids, as it helps them to know all of the feelings they are having - the good and the bad - are normal.

The Invisible String by Patrice Karst -- This is a great one not only for moving but also for anytime we are separated from loved ones. It explains how we are all connected with an invisible string that can never be broken. The book's message is especially good for those military families or other situations when Mom or Dad might be away for a while.

A Tiger called Thomas by Charlotte Zolotow - This beautiful picture book tackles how it is for a shy child to move and find new friends and the importance of just being yourself. Again, a perfect choice for any kid entering a new situation.

When you moved or had a big change, what books did you read?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Ilona75 

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
nngmommy83
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We've moved a few times and I just basically talk to my kids about it way before hand and reassure them things will be ok, seems to help

Bob192
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

We have lived in the same house since the kids have been born, but I agree books are a great way to help with change.

MamaMandee
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

We didnt read any books when we moved. I did have the kids help me look up all about where we were moving to. 

.Angelica.
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

i think the only thing I went and got books about was potty training. my sonliked seeing elmo use the potty!

goddess99
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM

That was a long time ago but I do remember getting books about many life changes so my dd would be a little more prepared.

countrygirlkat
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

My kids were too little when we moved to really get what was going on so I didn't read any books for that to them.  We did however read books before the baby was born about having a new baby and I think that helped a lot. 

Kmakksmom
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I'm going to check out The Invisible String.  I'll have to see if I can find it.  Thank you for sharing!

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I got books from the library for big events.

timon95
by Betty on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

tfs, the only book we ever bought was a big brother book for ds before dd was born.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

We have not dealt with moving, and the only big change was kindergarten. We got several books, our favorite was Mrs Bindergarten goes to kindergarten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)