Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

So, something new is happening in your kid's life - we've talked a lot about moving, but could be a new school or a new job change for you or your husband, which may mean lots of travel or a new schedule. Anything that breaks our kids out of their norm, where they have to get used to a new norm and new routine can be tough.

This Friday Fit Club has some ways you can help your kid become more confortable in any new situation...and some of them may help you too!

-- Keep some sameness. When changes are going on, you may see that your son will want to read the same book or watch the same movie or play the same thing over and over again. He's trying to connect to something familiar. Allow this and support him.

-- Enforce routine. Though it may be unsettled all around him (and you), with unpacked boxes and so on, keep routines going - bedtime routine, meal times and so on. Especially if you are in a new place, get those familiar routines going as soon as possible - this will help your son realize though it is a new house, the same things happen in it.

-- Include him. Whether it is talking about the new situation or packing up boxes, include your children. Give them some control of what is happening by allowing them to voice their opinions and make some decisions in the matter (where in his new room he wants his Chicago White Sox poster, what color the shower curtain can be, or anything).

-- Be a change role model. Let him see you go up to the neighbors and say hi. Get excited over some part of the new routine or place. If he sees your reaction to this disruption, it may help him see the positives and not just dwell on the negatives.

-- Reach out to others. Do some research and make opportunities for him to meet friends if you have moved. Call your new church, contact the school or your neighborhood group to see about families in your area that may have a good new buddy for him.

-- Remember it is a process. There will be some good days and tough days with any change. When he's having a rough day or doesn't want to go outside to play, acknowledge that emotion, don't push it. Talk about it and try again later to get him to do something fun. If you see he's upset, offer that unconditional support he needs to get through that moment, remind him you are always there for him, that you are in it together. That may be all he needs to hear.

What do you do to help your kids to adjust to a new situation?

ÂŠiStockphoto.com/ Andreasr 

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
Madelaine
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Thank you!

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Thank you for the tips! I haven't had to work much on helping my daughter adjust to new situations yet

ceciliam
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I try to not make that big of a deal and go with the flow. I think that helps to adapt to different situations.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Great tips!
Charizma77
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Great tips, thank you!
Harris06
by Megan on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My kids are pretty good about just going with the flow, which is good since we are a Navy family. I must say, however, that I do pretty much everything that has been suggested...especially keeping with routine. That is big for me. Whenever my husband has to go out to sea or deployed I try my best to keep with the same routine that we always have so that the girls know that it is ok and everything is ok and although daddy isn't here right now we are going to be ok.

Leelee1008
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

alot of talking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)