Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Picky Veggie Eaters

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

Veggies are a hard thing to get kids to eat at times but here are two tips per parent's magazine that may work:

1.  Try adding a touch of sugar to vegetable cooking water.  Studies show that kids tend to like things that have been sweetened.  Start with 1/2 tsp per cup of veggies and reduce the amount of sugar over time.

2.  Serve veggies with a ranch dressing dip.  This is said to help bitter sensitive kids to consume more veggies.  BUT you could also encourage kiddos to dip their veggies in any low fat salad dressing, hummus, or applesauce.

What do you all think of these tips?  What are your secrets to getting kids to eat their veggies(aside from hiding them)?

sewinggardeningbakingdoing laundryYoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nngmommy83
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I dunno about the sugar thing but my kids love dipping their veggies! They use ranch, yogurt, and hummus usually =)

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I would only give veggies and once they ate that they would get their other food. Now they never give me problems
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachelz123
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM
DD only eats her veggies raw. I think she likes the crunch rather than the mush.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

DS only eats veggies in soup. So that is how I make them for him. Homemade split pea and homemade tomato are his favorites. I add carrots, onions and celery to both.

We don't cook veggies in water, ever, so tip number 1 wouldn't work here. We grill them or I steam them. I guess steaming uses a little water, but I can't imagine adding sugar to that. 

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

My daughter will eat just about anything if she has something to dip the veggie in. She prefers fresh veggies over cooked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN