Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

We just got the "reminder! You are due for a check-up!" in the mail from Kiddo's dentist. Yes, it always slips my mind. She gets there, of course, but it isn't like I'm totally on top of it, sometimes it is every seven months, instead of six...I need to get better about it.

You know, as far dental care goes, not a huge amount has changed. It isn't like they came out saying we should use boomerang shaped bristles or anything. Sure, lots of improvements have come along with rinses and flossers and all of the stuff we need is eons better than it used to be, but the fact remains that we need to get our kids to brush and floss twice a day - just like they recommended when we were kids.

And, again, the one that I'm a little lax on:  we need to get our kids to the dentist. According to this report, The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 20% of kids aged 5-11 have untreated cavities. That's a lot, folks. And though we all may say, well, those are baby teeth, it still matters. Another article I was reading lately points out that though the teeth may fall out, infections in those teeth can hurt our kids permanent teeth - as well as lead to serious health conditions in the rest of their bodies.  

Again, all signs point to the basics of healthy tooth habits, but especially getting out kids to the dentist for regular check-ups.

Do your kids have cavities? When was your first cavity?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ nmcandre

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Madelaine
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

No cavities for the kids yet and mine was 21 for the first one.

kaidansmylife
by Stacie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
My 5 yo has 1 cavity. I busted him not very long ago sneaking Ana KS before bed after his night time brushing. That has been stopped! Hopefully he won't get any more cavities now that he. Ant reach the snacks! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ds had one cavity about a year ago. It showed up shortly after he started brushing his own teeth and I wasn't watching him real close.

I do not remember my first cavity.  

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Wow that is crazy! I dont know when my first cavity was. My daughter has had some filled already she is 4

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Ds1 has. Ds2 has not. I got my first cavity when i had braces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM

They are 5 and 9 and I'm proud to say that so far neither of them has gotten a cavity. When we leave the dentists office our next appointments are always scheduled. We've never missed any appointments. 

bethany169
by Bethany on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
My kids have none yet (they're 4 and 1). I got my first one at 25.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:42 AM

My older two have had cavities- one was 5 and one was 7.  

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Quoting bethany169:

My kids have none yet (they're 4 and 1). I got my first one at 25.

That is really good!  I always had them when I was younger- I think we are one of those families that has weak teeth or something.  

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Quoting countrymomma81:

They are 5 and 9 and I'm proud to say that so far neither of them has gotten a cavity. When we leave the dentists office our next appointments are always scheduled. We've never missed any appointments. 

good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)